Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I have carbs, I presume that is what caused the following to occur:
After parking my Tiger I noticed that there was fuel on the ground, leaking out of the airbox!
I turned off the pet-cock, I let it sit over night and rode it the next day to work without issue.
I went to start it to go home from work and discovered another fuel puddle below the Tiger and this time it wouldn't start.
The engine didn't even turn over - I presume that it was hydra-locked by the fuel that leaked thru the carb and it's (possibly) stuck float.
SO - I parked it in our office garage, went home, got tools, removed seat, fairings, tank, and spark plugs. Turned over engine blowing out hydra-locked fuel, reinstalled spark plugs, reinstalled fairings, tank, seat, etc. and it started right up! (all under 2 hrs thankfully)

Getting the fuel tank bolt holes to line up was a chore - that is why I used a ratcheting tie down to persuade it into place -see photo.

My brother has a GS100 and they RECOMMEND turning off the fuel line whenever one parks! I am adopting this practice; I will turn off the pet-cock so I don't get stranded.

Any others ever have this occur?

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I suspected as much @lobout .
I am dreading another carb rebuild (by me) since those Heed crash bars are installed - they prevent damage to the bike but also impede the side panels, carbs and head removal too!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Heed bars were of no real hindrance to removing the carbs.
Removed carbs, went to a friends shop and discovered that the L carb was leaking.
Put new float in - noticed that the "O" - ring on the old float was deformed, the float didn't appear to be damaged but was replaced anyway. Kept old float for spare, the new one cost me $70USD delivered - the nearest Triumph dealer is 90 miles away.

NO MORE LEAKING!

I'm getting good at taking apart and putting together this Tiger! I can have the carbs out in about an hour and put it back together in about the same amount of time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts