Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can someone help me with this matter.Also any tricks to getting the carbs off?
thanks

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On 2006-11-28 15:28, MotT3 wrote:
14.5mm

They can be a bit of a pig... thats all the advice I can give :???: :hammer:

Yeah I heard that they are difficult to get off,was looking for some experienced trickery that would make it easy .Really should buy a manual.
:-D

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hi Bueller, 14.5mm to 15.0mm is a good start for the float level. The tang is very sensitive, so adjust a little at a time.
As for removing carbs:
Tank off, battery out, auxhillary intakes removed.
Disconnect choke at the carbs. Disconnect throttle at the twist grip. Remove the water pipe shield bolted the inlet pipe.
Loosen airbox-to-carb clips.Slide airbox backwards.Slide a piece of smooth,stiff plastic sheet (300mmx100mm) between air box and carbs. Loosen carb-to-inlet clips. Slide carbs backwards. While holding them back, slide another piece of stiff smooth plastic sheet between the carbs and inlets.
Slide the carbs out. Spraying CRC 808 silicone on the plastic makes things very easy.
I use a strip of stainless steel, bent into a horseshoe, this clamps the carbs for removal and refitting. A light spray of 808 on the rubbers and carb spigots makes assembly very easy and quick.
Whole job (carbs out and back in,bike running again) takes about 30 minutes, plus time spent on the carbs.
Cheers
Kerry

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks kerry for taking the time and exerting the effort to make my life a whole lot easier.

cheers Richard

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
100% correct Derek,turns out the carbs are just plain worn out and I will need some replacements.
On 2006-12-11 14:03, moto wrote:
The chronic Mikuni needle jet wear problems can be compensated for somewhat with float height adjustments, however I don't recommend it. The more correct way to fix this is obviously to replace the needle jet. Unfortunately this is also only a temporary fix, as the needle jets wear out due to slide guide wear and the slide guides are not available separately. So the permanent way to solve the problem is by installing the later model Keihin carbs. That said, the correct float height is the one that achieves best low rpm full throttle operation.

Regards,

Derek

:mad:

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Someone else is also looking for a set of keihin carbs here in australia for the same reason .he has exactly the same problem on his bike with only 50000k on it due to silt in the carbs which ate the plastic slides.
So anyone with a set for sale please contact me.No luck with the wreckers here.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Regarding float height, is that measured from the after portion of the main body, at the back of the float chamber to the line/seam of the float?

Same in the State of Ohio- no luck finding Kehin replacements.

Thanks

Zip

·
Registered
66 Posts
Zippy: If you go to factorypro.com they have a good section that shows you how to set the floats. :cool:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts