Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to get at the spark plugs. The owners manual doesn't say how, and I've looked on the net. Can anybody help me get past the airbox? I've got the tank off. Now what??

·
Registered
139 Posts
There's a bracket on the back of the airbox with 2 bolts screwed through it that hold the back of the airbox down.
Take these 2 bolts out and pull up on the airbox. You might have to give it a good jerk. All that holds it on after you take these 2 bolts out is the rubber boots on the bottom of the airbox that go around the throttle bodies. They're probably stuck a little on the throttle bodies, mine were. After you get the airbox off the throttle bodies you'll be able to see how to get it the rest of the way off. DON'T forgot to reattach all the wires and vacuum hoses to the airbox or your check engine light will come on when you restart the bike (don't ask me how I know.....). Good luck!

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
When you put it back on, MAKE SURE you have all of the velocity stacks in the airbox completely sealed on the throttle body. On my bike, the stock velocity stacks were difficult - especially on the right side (cylinder number 3).

·
Registered
411 Posts
Another tip, smear a very small amount of grease around the mouth of the inlet rubbers, helps them to slip on easier...

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
On 2007-02-22 09:15, Tricks wrote:
Another tip, smear a very small amount of grease around the mouth of the inlet rubbers, helps them to slip on easier...
Good tip, but use liquid soap, vaseline or rubber friendly (brake seal or silicon) grease. Normal grease rots rubber. Tricks I know you said small amount but why risk it when most households would have liquid soap?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts