Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey People,

Can anyone point out any issues i would face if i was to run with a 18 Inch Front wheel on my 71' 650 Bonnie?

Im thinking of a flat tracker type theme with the restoration and going with pollished aluminium instead of chrome.

Hit me with your experience's.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Flattrackers usually ran 19" front and rear. But, if you like the look of 18/18, go for it. Alloy rims are one of the best investments for a high performance bike....better steering, better handling, better acceleration, better braking, and improved mass centralization. Get some nice Buchanan's butted Stainless spokes and alloy nipples, too.

·
Registered
212 Posts
You're biggest problem would be in finding appropiate tires.
If your going to go with Dunlop K70's, 4.00x18 is available, but if you want to use a more modern tire, or flat track tires, you won't find anything available for the front in an 18" size. In any case, as an old flat track racer, I'd suggest going with a 19" front and an 18" or19" rear. If you're going with a flat track theme, that would be more authentic. Good Luck, post pictures when it's done!

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I'm guessing that you mean you are going with the flattracker styling, not that you intend to flattrack it, right? So you'll be running it on the road with street tires??? That was my assumption. Plenty of tires for the street in 18".
I can't recall that anyone ever actually flattracked a 71 oif, unless it was just for fun. I sure wouldn't.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Outside of the fact that the stock Triumph frames were quite heavy, the geometry of Triumph frames worked quite well for dirt track racing. The original Sonicweld and Trackmaster frames were designed to duplicate the geometry of the stock Triumph frame, and the developement of the oil in frame was prodded by the Trackmaster. Many riders used stock frames, especially in TT races where a weight and power advantage wasn't as critical.
My suggetion on wheel size is based on the fact that flat track themed bikes, or "streettrackers" usually try to stay true to a real flattrack bike. If a flattrack theme is what valiantbultaco wants, then I gave him good advice. Modern 18" tires that are available require a wide rim and would not look right on a "Streettracker". But, that's just my opinion based on a 12 year flat track racing career, and a lifetime of being a flat track fan.

[ This message was edited by: OldTimeBiker on 2006-12-04 09:05 ]

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Right, but by 71, there were enough aftermarket frames available that nobody would have, nor do I believe they actually did, race a stock OIF frame. The early frames, particularly the 63-65 frames, with 3 degrees less rake and less trail, were very competent and some racers PREFERRED the Triumph frames. I think Dick Doerrstyn and Sonny Burres put in a lot of time on stock frames. The later frames with more rake didn't show up that often. The 650s became AMA legal in 1969 and the aftermarket frames were well established by then.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It seems to be the same guys helping me out!!!! Very good to see and thanks again for your opinions.
I Might just keep the 19 Inch front after all. Just wanted to make sure before ordering my mud-catcher alloy rims (if only Triumphs Used 36 spoke Akronts id be laughing)

Cheers.

I Will be posting images of this badboy when finished.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts