Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been looking at some flat brackets and it seems that there's quite a few options out there now. Motodemic, Cognigto moto(seems like the same product as Motodemic) bonnevillebrackets.com, and British Customs, etc. I'm leaning to purchase from Cognito moto with the ignition hole in it. Does anyone know if this requires custom headlight ears and lowering the headlight? I have a 2013 T100 that has the stock ears and headlight on it.
Thanks!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I recently installed the Motone bracket on my thruxton, I had to lower the headlight, not much though, I just flipped the headlight brackets. For your t100 you will need different headlight ears, or perhaps you might get away with spacing the flat bracket up off the yoke.

·
Premium Member
1,352 Posts
I put on a D9 flat bracket recently, and it installed in minutes with no mods required. Seth's website offers good info on each option, and without that it's best to call the outfit, or wait for exact personal experiences from others.

D9's certainly aren't the cheapest but there's some confidence in the purchase.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I put on a D9 flat bracket recently, and it installed in minutes with no mods required. Seth's website offers good info on each option, and without that it's best to call the outfit, or wait for exact personal experiences from others.

D9's certainly aren't the cheapest but there's some confidence in the purchase.
The D9's is the same as bonnevillebrackets.com correct? There are so many options to choose from. Which one do you have that didn't interfere with the headlight?

·
Premium Member
1,352 Posts
The D9's is the same as bonnevillebrackets.com correct? There are so many options to choose from. Which one do you have that didn't interfere with the headlight?
Yes, same outfit: https://bonnevillebrackets.com/

I got the plain Jane, single of course for the Bonnie, SSSWl - V1 in black. Most D9 options on the site describe what's involved, and Seth is very responsive on email. I'm very lazy really and simply went with D9 having confidence from many past posts here. And, several cheaper options I did see required one to buy extra parts to accommodate the bracket which seems silly. Walk back to the CAD room and tell the idiot to [insert instructions here to idiot] design a stand-alone bracket that doesn't require a days work and extra parts to install.

·
Premium Member
1,352 Posts
Here's a pic of mine -

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,352 Posts
Yes, the 4 black supplied bolts are direct replacements for the oems, with heavy plastic spacers between the yoke and the bracket. Works well, very stable and tight after mounting.

·
Registered
107 Posts
So I've been looking at some flat brackets and it seems that there's quite a few options out there now. Motodemic, Cognigto moto(seems like the same product as Motodemic) bonnevillebrackets.com, and British Customs, etc. I'm leaning to purchase from Cognito moto with the ignition hole in it. Does anyone know if this requires custom headlight ears and lowering the headlight? I have a 2013 T100 that has the stock ears and headlight on it.
Thanks!
I recommend D9, Seth is great to deal with. I bought a black layflat with the ignition placement for my 2001, great piece of kit.
I did ned o lower the headlight but i had new brackets bought for the headlight so that was easy.
Almost all the lately flat brackets that I looked at required lowering of the headlight. If you don't want to go with new brackets you can remove the stock brackets and cut whatever amount you need from the bottom of them.
You will be left with the ignition hole (something I didn't to be looking at) but I have seen someone cleverly use that to hold a USB output for charging.
Heres are shots of the bottom of a stock bracket where you can cut it, the stock bracket ignition hole and the D9 on my bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,400 Posts
I have one of D9's original gauge brackets. It's great, and his friendly support for some issues I had with it could not have been better. Note that these "issues" were of my own doing and had nothing to do with the quality of his product or its suitability for purpose.

·
Registered
107 Posts
My experience when doing this on my 2001 was the wiring and ignition relocation means there is a stock plastic bottom housing that you can no longer use. This housing protects the braid of cables travelling from the headlight to the dash from the weather and really keeps things tidy between the clocks and the underside of the dash. Without it, water getting into the braid of the 4 cables seemed possible which I didn't like. The tach, speedo, warning lights and ignition electrics are all coming up under that dash and water gathering in that group of cables with no way to escape seemed problematic.
With the new flat dash and no plastic housing, the top exit point of this sheath (where the 4 cables go to their separate destinations) is slightly exposed. Any water getting inside of that bunch of wires has nowhere to go except to stagnate. All the wires are insulated so it's not getting at electrics but you don't want water building up.
I'm probably not explaining this very well and its also possible that I was being too anal about it but basically, striping everything back, untwisting and routing until you have enough of each cable to pull them close together as possible at the underside of the new dash was tedious and took a while
This seems less of an issue on EFI bikes with digital dash and no front wheel speedo drive to the tach so the underside of the dash is much cleaner than on the older carb.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts