Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Road out to Hermy's for thier Spring Open house, down to Scott Power sports, up to the Poconos, trying to get lost on the way back. Stopped to top off by the house and just as I turned the corner on my street the front end went wobbly. I thought,did I bend the rim, No I knew I had a flat. Sure enouph back in the garage I fired up
the compressor and tried to air up the tire, no go. Ill have to pull the wheel and take it in to have the tube replaced. I wish I could do it myself but REALLY dont want to damage the crome on the front wheel.

Beautiful day, bike ran perfect, went way to fast up and down Blue Mountain. Hermy's did a great job and the food was very good. Not enouph Triumph's!!

Anyone else out there had a flat in recent history? This is the first flat on a motorcycle for me in at least 20 years. Is there any temporary fix if your a long way from a repair shop?

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Having just changed both tubes and tires on my Legend in my own garage, I have to say it would take a better man than I to do this job out on the shoulder of the road somewhere! Although I haven't used it yet (thankfully), I added the free towing & recovery to my Progressive policy for just such an occasion. I think it cost an extra $6.00 per year. If I have a flat, the only tool I need is my cell phone to call Progressive and flatbed it to a shop or my own garage. Since you have to pull the tube out to patch it, I assume everyone just replaces it with a new one. Don't know whether it is necessary to patch the hole in the tire itself?

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
I haven't had a flat, but I made it out to Hermys' open house last year. Nice bunch of folks.

Also stopped at Cabelas to see the stuffed animal exhibit.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Murphy's Law - kinda...

Bought the TB last March w/ 4,000 miles on it. Put on 5500 miles, and then replaced the front & rear with new Avons (Storm & Azarro) about a month ago. Had about 120 miles on the new skins and yep - got a flat on the rear. First flat ever! Had local shop put in a new tube. Was discussing this with an acquaintance who works at the local HD store, who said "we prefer to replace the tire, rather than patch it. That the tire, when it gets warm, opens up at the point of least resistance". I called the Avon tech line the next day, and was told the same thing. The good news was the the Avons have a road hazard warranty, and they sent a new rear tire. The bad news (and shame on me for not asking when I bought the tires) was paying the local guy twice for the work. Also bought towing coverage from MTS. Found out my Nationwide policy can include towing, but the breakdown has to be at least 100 miles from my home. At my age, waaay too far to have to push the bike to collect!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I would recommend that you don't patch the tube, buy a new one. I've had one of the patches come off and cause a flat. You'll save yourself some aggravation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts