Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
went out to my bike this morning and no power wat so ever ,been using the bike all week but only do a couple of miles to work ,had it on charge for a couple of hours ,the ignition lights have come on but still wont start ,is it common for the batterys to go flat like that,it went flat over the winter but thought iit was ok.any body got a spare battery they dnt want lol

·
Registered
67 Posts
Sounds like a job for a Battery Tender!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
flat batery

had it on charge nost the day with a oximizer trickle charger ,got the ignition on managed to start it but after turning it of it wont start again ,gona leave it on all night see wa happens ,hanx for he reply

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
managed to get the bike started,went for a ride and broke down grrr the man who recovered me recons its the regulator its draining the power ,so got to get in touch with triiumph 2moz,just hope it covered under warrenty

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Several people have had problems with the regulator/rectifier. I think if you checked with most of those folks, they would be people who didn't keep their bike on a trickle charger at all times. Seems that when the battery is below the optimum charge level, the alternator/stator works too hard and it ends up causing regulator/rectifier issues.

Take it to the dealership, have it all repaired under warranty and then buy a trickle charger like a Battery Tender Jr. and keep it plugged in whenever you are not riding it.

I've got two 675's and treat them both this way. No issues with either.

TripleThreat

·
Registered
2 Posts
A lot of trickle chargers don't have the amperage to actually charge a dead battery, they are meant more for maintaining. You might want to check out the CTEK charger, it is strong enough to charge it then will maintain the battery without overcharging. They actually shut off completely instead of going to trickle mode... a lot better for long term storage.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My battery was dead the last time I went to ride. But, here is why I am stupid. If you take the key out in the wrong position, the tail light stays on. I think this is the parking position. I have no idea why a bike has a parking position where you can take the key out. I charged the battery and rode the bike yesterday and today with no issues. We'll see if it's just my stupidity or something more serious.

·
Registered
20 Posts
A week later and the battery was dead again. So, I thought, well it's a new bike, but maybe my stupidity fried the battery. Now, I'm questioning that logic. I think my stupidity might have done more damage than just the battery. So, here are some questions.

1. I have a 'trickle' charger, but the lowest setting is 2 amp. Is that really a trickle charger for a 12 volt, motorcycle battery?

2. Can you damage anything on the bike by charging the battery at 2 to 6 amps, while the battery is still installed on the bike?

I replaced the battery, charged it overnight at 2 amps (albeit while installed) went to start the bike and it was obvious the electrical system wasn't getting enough juice: headlight was only faintly glowing. So, now I have the battery off the bike on a 2 amp charge again overnight. Tomorrow, I will reinstall and see what happens.

But, have I damaged anything? Where is the fuse on an 08 Bonneville? That would be a nice, easy cheap fix, but I would think that would stop anything from working, or is it just a fuse for the charging system?

Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
It won't be a fuse. Nothing would light up if it were a fuse issue.

When you get a new battery, you should very carefully follow the charging instructions before you ever install it in the bike. Those instructions will include the length of charge required and will specify at what amperage you should charge it.

Go back and re-read the charging instructions that came with your new battery and see if you can charge it by following those instructions. Then see what happens.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The Zen of this motorcycle repair is beginning...

Okay, I bought a dmm to check the battery per the manufacturer's standards and it was not charging correctly. So, that leads to a number of outcomes:

1. Took the battery back to the store, where they have had it on a charger overnite. I will pick it up this morning.

2. Got online and bought a Battery Tender Junior (ca-$-ching) with some nice acessories (spare set of connectors for my lawn mower and extension cables). The set up looks nice and if you buy it on Amazon it has a 5 star rating from over 150 users, that just blows the doors off the closest competitor and its on sale until the end of June. Anyway, that will be delivered today (hopefully, at least I PAID for Saturday delivery). So, I will set up my bike to always be on a trickle charge when parked.

Looking back, I realize that everybody I know who owns a motorcycle told me to buy a trickle charger when I got the bike last summer, but I ignored the advice.

Now I need to see if I can get Amazon.com to sponsor my racing efforts...;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
They tried to charge the battery at the store. I went in Saturday to pick it up and (fortunately) they checked it. Turns out, the replacement battery had a bad cell. I don't know if I burned out the battery by anything I did, but the store was good enough to give me new one, no questions asked.

The new battery was charged and good-to-go, so I put it on the bike and it fired right up, everything looks good so far. I also received my Battery Tender Junior package, so I wired the snap connectors onto the new battery.

So, now I can keep the bike on a trickle charge when not in use. My bike owning buddy, though, told me I shouldn't need the tender until this winter when the bike goes into storage.

Now, I'll just have to see if the battery holds a charge or slowly drains which I would assume means a charging system issue or a short circuit someplace.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
I keep my bikes on a tender whenever they are not being ridden. Summer, Fall, Winter and Spring...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Wednesday of the next week and all systems are go. I did notice when I stopped the bike once that I still managed to take the key out in the 'park' position, leaving the taillight on. But, I got on again in about 15 minutes. Being a middle aged newbie, I think the key 'park' position is very similar to an automobile 'off' position, so it's easy (for me anyway) to just twist the key clockwise and pull it out.

Well, hopefully that's the end of the story. Lesson learned at the cost of a new battery, trickle charger and some missed rides.

Just to reiterate in case of any minor technical differences, all my experience was on a 2008 Bonneville, not a Daytona. Maybe the key position on a Daytona isn't the same or it doesn't have the key mounted on the left front fork top stay, or the park position isn't the same.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts