Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK,
most would know about my recent purchase of a 2k7 Yamaham FJR, reasons etc so I thought I would give you the heads up on the bike and how it compares to my 2K7 ST.

First the short facts on the FJR -

Power = 9/10
Comfort = 9/10
Style = In the eye of the beholder but I like it
Handling = 6/10
Quality = 8.5/10
Ride = 9/10

OK, let me go into details;
Power: This is a 1300cc IL4 that pulls like a rocket from about 2k and needs to be treated with respect. This bike is FAST, very fast for it weight (264kgs dry) and with a very smooth 5 speed box you have no need to Redline to go beyond the posted speed limit.
Sweepers and tight corners are no problem with this engine, you feel like its almost an automatic the way the power comes on.

Fuel comsuption is about 4.8lt per 100 with a real life range of about 500Klms touring and 390 klm if riden agressively.

Comfort: The seat height is lower than the ST but WIDER so I'm back to "height issue" again. I did a 600Klm ride 2 up in total comfort as the seat offers better support than the ST and the pillion is not "sitting high" which they like (well most). The screen is powered and allows complete adjustment at any speed which comes in handy. The bars have 3 settings so you can easily find the one most suited to your ride position.
The fairings are able to move out another 30mm when riding in the cold or rain and the heated grips offer a "sweep setting" you can dail up for better comfort.
Display is logical with a good range of visual needs addressed.

Heat Issue is there on the GenI's but equal or less than the ST on the GenII (which I have)

Style= You either like or not but its more touring than sports that's for sure

Handling = This bike is 264kgs dry weight and like anything that is that heavy its not going to be quick in the corners. The lean rate is less than acceptable IMHO as you scrap begs and panniers (yes panniers) very easily. Everything is easy to reach and manipulate. There is a lever on the left side that is specifically for two-up riding. There is a soft and hard setting. Soft for pilot only and hard for two-up. Its as simple as moving the lever one way or the other while on the center stand. Fork flex is a big issue (I've ordered a brace) and you need to run the factory settings to the MAX for any level of confidence if you wish to ride in an agressive manner. My plan is to change out the Springs and get a new rear end before long.

The BRAKES are the BEST I have ever used. Unidirectional ABS that stops you on a 50cent peice. I thought my Buell brakes gave good feed back but they are nothing compared to these and the Triumph brakes are not even in the runner for feed back (or stopping for that matter)

Quality: Well its YAMAHA which has a good name and things fit together well. In this area I would suggest it's better (not by much) than Triumph but not by much.

Ride: This is one mean little (or should I say BIG) bike to ride. OK, I have slowed down in the corners (but they will change with a suspension up-date) but touring, comfort, protection, stopping power is better than anything else I have. The Panniers will hold a FULL FACE helmet (which is good) and don't look like she has a big butt. The Panniers are awesome. They come off in less than 10 seconds easily and come with liners that have carry straps. The bike comes with color matched inserts for the openings that are left when the panniers are removed. That way you cant tell the bags were ever there. The bike looks just like a large sportbike without them and doesnt look unnatural at all. It won't be an embrassiment with other bikes in this category nor would you be left thinking you are riding a MAC Truck.

In the 1000 klms I have dont on this bike I have enjoyed her. The short comings were expected for its weight and the unexpected benefits (brakes & power) are welcome.

Is it better than the ST - that's not a good question as they are two totally different bikes. Yes they are both Sports Touring but that category of bike has been somewhat done to death (a Busa is refered to a Sports Tourer here in OZ)

Is it for everyone? You know the answer to that one.

Is it good for me? Hell yeah

Cheers
Poddy

·
Registered
407 Posts
I think you've hit the nail on the head Poddy. It's different. In some areas it might be better for a particular rider, in others not so much and that's the great thing about our sport is that there is so much variety.

I have to get rich to afford all the bikes I'd like to have and I mean really rich because I like so many of them. My next addition will be a dirt bike, but of course do I want and adventure style dual purpose, or a standard dual purpose or just an offroad bike? Yes! See my problem?

Anyway, the FJR is a great bike and if you have found that it is the right bike for you, awesome! Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Poddy,
I have always wanted to ride an FJR. I think they are a beauty and if I was going to do more distance riding I think this is something I would really look at.

Super glad that you are happy with your choice!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Congrats Poddy. Glad you are able to ride it in comfort. My buddy has the 05 FJR. and the fact he can house the helmets in his bags, i get reminded of every time we ride together:p. enjoy that side of it too, the bags are no where near the PITA to deal with as the sprint's.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Poddy,

A co-worker of mine picked up an 02 or 03 used for about $5,000 and he loves it. Of course, he never did try my Sprint though:D We park next to each other (both silver) and it's kind of fun to compare the two, at least looks wise.

It's appears to me that if someone is doing more long-distance stuff, it would be the better of the two IMO. For around town and short commutes, twisties etc., I think I'd still take the Sprint but in fairness, I've never ridden the FJ either. I always think if I could afford two, I'd have an FJ and an S3.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Poddy
Glad you like it, as you indicated you are considering upgrading the suspension. A decent rear shock will make all the difference, at 20,000 miles i replaced mine on an 05 FJR with a Hagon and the difference was remarkable. Didn't need to change the front end other that slightly heavier oil, of course i only weigh 155 lbs, any more weight than that i would have considered heavier springs as well since many folks think the front is undersprung but switching the shock made all the difference for me.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Great Report Poddy, glad you are happy. Suprised at your comment on the FJR needing a fork brace, as it's considered one of the better planted sport tourers, but I think that is a direct reflection on how good the Sprint is.

OK, as this thread and its topic has influenced me, it is now time for an FJR related confession of my own....

I found this forum (best I have encountered BTW) as a result of my search to move back to the Sport Touring realm after a 4 year break of riding my older motorcycles (79XS1100, 77 XS650). Having owned an FJR in the past, I wanted something smaller but as capable, and ended up targeting the Sprint. Initially planned an 05+ but the more I looked, the more I realized the style, ergonomics of the 00-04 was more my style. Found a few 04's, but diddnt pan out, wanted a low mileage one owner, well cared for.....then the longer I looked, read, considered, the more I realized that the my riding style, needs (LOTS of 2 up) and wants kept leading me back to the FJR.

I was tempted by the value of the Sprint, and being able to get a brand new bike for the price of a 3 year old FJR made the Sprint the logical choice, and I could compromise on the size and long distance/two up comfort issues. 15 years ago (age 30's), would be hands down the Sprint, 15 years from now(60's), will be the Wing (or equiv) best mid way ride for me is the FJR.

So........... Two weeks ago, I became the proud owner of a 2K5 Galaxy Blue FJR (non ABS). And, its all Poddy's fault! :D Had he not brought up the subject, I would not relooked the FJR. But I am happy and really believe I am back on a bike I will ride for the next 10 years. And my wife is happier. (though I have to admit I like the way her @$$ looks when she sits on a high pillion..... but that view should be resevered for me, not the guy riding behind us :eek:) Seriously though, 50% of my riding includes her as a passenger, and unless we are taking the kids somewhere, it is our preferred mode of trans April-October.

If you'll have me, I will continue to post here, you are all a great group of guys (and gals), and truly represent what I love about this sport and the core of its community. Look forward to seeing you out there.........

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
15 years ago (age 30's), would be hands down the Sprint, 15 years from now(60's), will be the
Wing (or equiv) best mid way ride for me is the FJR.
Congrats to both Poddy and Bulldog9 on their decision to go with the FJR. It's a good touring bike,
and well suited to 2-up riding.

I was taken with how we all approach this from different viewpoints. Twenty years ago at
age 40 I owned a GL-1200 Interstate, as it was a great bike for taking my young son cross
country to visit family. A couple of years later I felt that I needed more performance but still wanted a good pillion.

To that end I got an ST-1100 and soon sold the Wing. In a few years I added a Concours and later an FJR,
but neither bike suited me as well as the Pan European and in the end it outlived the other two.

Last year my son bought a Ducati 1098, and I soon realized that I wanted more performance and character than the Honda provided,
though I still wanted a more comfortable bike than the Duc.

That led to my purchase of an 08 Spint and a couple months ago an Aprilia Falco. I reluctantly sold my
18 year old ST-1100 as I knew it would just collect dust in the garage. I've owned many other Japanese bikes
over the years, with the Sport Tourers being my favorite type.

The ST-1100 and Sprint are the best bikes I've ever owned, though for somewhat different reasons. Now, at age 61,
I have the type of bikes I likely should have been riding all along. I didn't realize until recently just how good the
Brit triples and Italian twins are.

Funny how that works :)

Regards, Tom

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bulldog, congrads on the FJR, "Blue is the best color".

I'm sure no-one will mind you posting here as it is one of the best forums on the net -

Cheers
Poddy

PS: Still have a great Trumphy for sale if anyones interested.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I had an '05. You're right about the brakes...They were awesome! Mine wasn't even ABS, but I've never had such confidence in a set of brakes, before or since. It sure is a lot of bike tho. But I still miss it sometimes, especially the screen.

MP

1 - 13 of 13 Posts