Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may be buying a 675 with a dented tank - looks like it has about a 2-3 inch dent right on the Triumph sticker on the ride side. I would like to do the prep work myself and give it to someone to paint. Any tricks to popping out the dent and finishing off the area? Any other guidance on prep? Thanks.

G

·
You need a body hammer, and either a stud gun or heavy duty epoxy. The epoxy is the heat free way, throw epoxy on it and attach a rod or plank of sorts then try to pull that mofro out. The Studgun, you put studs, pull, more studs, pull, ect ect. Starting from the outside in of course.

OR!!! You can cut the bottom out, hamer and dolly it from the inside, then reweld.

·
Registered
303 Posts
You can fill them with water, then put it in the freezer, the expansion will push the dent out.

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
On 2007-01-25 01:03, bung1 wrote:
You can fill them with water, then put it in the freezer, the expansion will push the dent out.
I would have never thought of that.
Does it really work?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Apparently so, a freind did it with good results. Wont work if its creased.

[ This message was edited by: bung1 on 2007-01-25 16:28 ]

·
Registered
716 Posts
I would NOT recommend using water to freeze to try and push the dent out...I tried this years ago...it wrecked the tank by splitting it...I would like to hear from someone who actually tried it and it worked for them...not just friends who said it worked...this rumor has been going around for years. I made the mistake of trying it.
IT DID NOT WORK FOR ME a body shop can fix it or at least make it paintable...
my advice is DO NOT FREEZE IT WITH WATER...

G

·
IF you try freezing it with water, you MUST NOT fill it all the way.

That, and you MUST have a very large freezer! :razz:

Cheers,
-Kit, looking for a paintless way to remove the crease from his spare tank...

G

·
There is no painless way to remove a crease. Painless only works on crease-less "dents". Only way to get creases out is with hammer and dolly.

G

·
Kubihibi: Yeah, that's why I'm still looking. :wink:

Oh, also, to the OP:

You might give a Ding-King or Fix-A-Dent a try. They're about $20 from the auto supply store.

Cheers,
-Kit

G

·
Most painless dent guys wont charge you if they cant remove your dents. It IS an option to give them a shot. AND they are relatively cheap.

·
Registered
716 Posts
So my question is still... has someone here actually removed a dent with freezing water??? Not just heard about it or a friend did it but you did it and it worked?

·
Registered
844 Posts
A friend found a method using a hot glue gun that removed most of the dent on his VFR.

Another method used (again, wont get it all if it is creased) with some success is to get the tank good and hot, then use dry ice to shrink the metal at the dent. Most dents are made up of stretched metal, the dry ice shrinks the metal, which will often at least shrink the dents. You could (after cleaning it well with a degreaser or something else equally good) put it in the oven and set it to low, then work with the tank. A heat gun might work, but watch the paint.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I think the oldest method is still the best. Using a long bar, beat the dent out from the inside of the tank, apply pastic body filler to the low spots, sand smooth, and spray.

·
Registered
165 Posts
On 2007-02-02 16:51, Jhumphrey wrote:
I think the oldest method is still the best. Using a long bar, beat the dent out from the inside of the tank, apply pastic body filler to the low spots, sand smooth, and spray.
I agree with you on this method,Idid a simular thing with an R6 tank.I got most of it out with a rounded bar the rest I did from the outside with fibreglass filler and bondo.

I have tried using a stud gun before on a tank with mixed results.The reason being really thin 16 gauge metal used in tanks.
I burned several holes in the tank and had to weld it up myself,it was a nightmare.
If there is a Maaco I would take it there and ask them if they could fix it for you.
Mikey

·
Registered
235 Posts
you could go my route,, I had two very large dents in my tank, tried the "paintless dent remover" for the local parts store,,one of them on my sticker,,,,pulled the sticker right off,,,cussed alot at that,,,then had my girlfriend buy me a new painted tank from Triumph,,,,,gotta love her,,,

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
There is a VERY easy way to pull a dent. It is a spot-weld slide hammer. Most body shops will have one. For a tank dent you just spot weld the puller shank onto the dent just inside of the outer crest and pull on the shank. At the same time you rap on the outer crest with a body hammer. Repeating this method around in a swirl until reaching the center, you can get the dent--usually creased or not, although some creases require cutting/welding--out with only having to use an extremely small amount of glaze to smooth it over. The fact is that most people don't have a spot-weld slide hammer ($400ish) so my recommendation would be to take the tank to a local body shop and have them pull the dent. I wouldn't charge much for something like that, as it wouldn't take much time. Strip the paint from the area prior to taking the tank in to save time and money.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts