Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can buy a second hand set of tank pads to fit on my 2001 Bonne, what is involved in fitting them to the tank.

·
29,948 Posts
Brand new tank pads have adhesive on them and a peel off layer. You simply peel off the backing, and place the pad on the tank in the right location.

Things to consider:

Clean the tank carefully, wipe off the tank with alcohol pad.
Do it on a warm day, when the tank and rubber pad are warm.
Dry fit the pad (ie don't peel the backing off straight away) to understand the location - maybe mark the position with an easy to clean off marker (water soluble)

Now - on a second hand pad - if they have been used you will have to find a decent adhisive to put on it. Something like silicone RTV might be a good choice - something that sticks well put will peel off if you change your mind later. If they have not actually been used, and still have the protective backing, then you should be able to fit them like new ones.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
The new pads I bought with my bike lasted about 3 weeks. Brand new, out of the package, stuck 'em on in the parking lot before I rode home... most likely my problem with 'em.

So.... pulled 'em off, cleaned 'em up, wiped down the tank and used regular old scotch double sided tape --- lasted about 6 weeks.

So.... looking for something different. Found this at the local walgreens -- http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?CATID=302276&navAction=jump&navCount=0&nug=VPD&skuid=sku4116908&id=prod4118038

First try on 'em, used the little 3 inch strips that they also sell. Lasted pretty well, but again, the bottom of the pads started coming unglued. Bought the stuff in the link above, pretty much covered the entire pad with it. Don't think they are coming off this time! It does clean off if needed (remember, I said I bought the small 3 inch strips the first time which I have since removed).

This time, I heated the tank up with a heat gun, heated the pads up with the heat gun, covered the entire pad (almost), stuck 'em on and they are really on there this time.

WARNING -- The stuff sticks like crazy to itself. BE CAREFUL and PATIENT -- it is sticky!!

·
Registered
131 Posts
The tank pad kits come with a little cleaner pad.
The kind you get at a restaurant when you order bbq :)

I used some rubbing alcohol and an old cotton tshirt
and wiped down the area where the pads go.
Then I used the little cleaner pad and went over the surface.
After that I warmed up the pads with a hair dryer and
fixed them to the tank.
I didn't warm the tank side up at all.

All of this I did in like 55 degree weather in Chicago.

And it's still sticking on there pretty good.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Pads

As said i marked the spot on a dry run. I laid the pads in the Fl sun to warm. Cleaned the tank x3 w alcohol. When you peel & stick- that what it does!!! There s no goin back!! Make sure lined up rite. Id pass on the used ones! New only $50 + change! Garage mate did his too. Really looks "true" retro!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts