Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still trying to get the Trudent back together with new head bearings. Does the lower bearing race fit flush with the bottom of the frame, or does it need to be driven into the recess? If it's the latter, I can't see how it can be done without a proper Triumph tool.

Has anyone done this by any other means?

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Somewhere near the beginning of this thread in the Sprint forum DEcosse describes how to use some bolts & washers & a piece of all-thread to set bearing races. Nice & cheap & low-tech. :D

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That worked

Thanks Kit, that thread seemed to suggest seating the bearings into the race and using them to push the race into position with the threaded rod.

I drove the races into the frame with a hammer and wooden block as far as I could, then used the threaded rod technique. Worked a treat, total cost to me 20p for two suitably sized washers, I had the rod and nuts already :)

·
Super Moderator
22,109 Posts
...I drove the races into the frame with a hammer and wooden block as far as I could, then used the threaded rod technique. Worked a treat, total cost to me 20p for two suitably sized washers, I had the rod and nuts already :)
Great that worked out!
Another suggestion for the steering head races is to start as you suggested with wooden block until it's flush, then take your old race and use that to drive it the rest of the way.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts