Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!

Just got my T120 2017 and decided to customise it. Not going to get into all details, but I’ve bumped into an issue woth the led lights and cruise control. The lights I want A9830104 aren’t suitable for my T120 apparently. Plus, as I understand the light somehow are connected to the cruise control. So for the version i would go for i would need to buy specific cc A9630248. The question is - what all this compatibility fuss is about? Difference in pins? The incapability in ECU? Smth else? Would appreciate any thoughts on this. 🙏🏻👍🏻

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I don't think there's link between the headlight and CC, I think its just because the cruise control kit replaces the LH switchgear so you need the correct version, DRL or non DRL.
If you search on here there is a DIY cruise control option although if you have to change the switchgear anyway for your new light then you may as well buy the CC one.

Reactions: Juri

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think there's link between the headlight and CC, I think its just because the cruise control kit replaces the LH switchgear so you need the correct version, DRL or non DRL.
If you search on here there is a DIY cruise control option although if you have to change the switchgear anyway for your new light then you may as well buy the CC one.
That makes complete sense and I don’t mind buying both the led and cc. The question then is - why dealer is saying that my t120 is incompatible bobbers led headlights.

·
Premium Member
2017 Triumph T120
979 Posts
Maybe the differences in headlamp size and mounting brackets?

·
Registered
2018 Triumph T120 2020 BMW R1250R
911 Posts
The question then is - why dealer is saying that my t120 is incompatible bobbers led headlights.

So your question is whether or not the Bobber headlight A9830104 will work on your T120? I have a T120 and the Bobber headlight looks different to me than a T120's. Its apples to oranges. Anything can be made to work but I think in this case, it isn't worth it.

Instructions for the Bobber headlight install showed me the difference. Take a look here... https://www.triumphinstructions.com/ProdDocs/A9830104-US.pdf

FYI - I changed my T120's HL to an LED one for way less than this Bobber one...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So your question is whether or not the Bobber headlight A9830104 will work on your T120? I have a T120 and the Bobber headlight looks different to me than a T120's. Its apples to oranges. Anything can be made to work but I think in this case, it isn't worth it.

Instructions for the Bobber headlight install showed me the difference. Take a look here... https://www.triumphinstructions.com/ProdDocs/A9830104-US.pdf

FYI - I changed my T120's HL to an LED one for way less than this Bobber one...
Thanks a lot! This is really helpful! 🙏🏻🙏🏻 Which LED did you change to? Original or custom?

·
Registered
2018 Triumph T120 2020 BMW R1250R
911 Posts
I used a JW Speaker 8700 Evo 2. My particular one is discontinued, but there are newer ones. It is a 7 inch replacement for a factory H4 headlight.

The T120's headlight 'housing' is a little larger in diameter than 7". So a regular 7" headlight will not fit/work... unless,

I used a Motodemic adaptor ring which allows the use of a 7" headlight... Triumph 7 Inch Headlight Adapter Ring • MOTODEMIC

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I used a JW Speaker 8700 Evo 2. My particular one is discontinued, but there are newer ones. It is a 7 inch replacement for a factory H4 headlight.

The T120's headlight 'housing' is a little larger in diameter than 7". So a regular 7" headlight will not fit/work... unless,

I used a Motodemic adaptor ring which allows the use of a 7" headlight... Triumph 7 Inch Headlight Adapter Ring • MOTODEMIC
Thanks! Will look into motodemic option.

·
Premium Member
2017 Triumph T120
979 Posts
I went with the JW Speaker LED headlamp as well but I prefer the looks of the Triumph LED lamp. Triumph fitted the Thruxton TFC with a LED headlamp that would probably fit in the T120 bucket but they don’t offer that headlamp as a stand alone part or accessory.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I went with the JW Speaker LED headlamp as well but I prefer the looks of the Triumph LED lamp. Triumph fitted the Thruxton TFC with a LED headlamp that would probably fit in the T120 bucket but they don’t offer that headlamp as a stand alone part or accessory.
I think, I’m just going to go with bobber led light on my t120. The headlight is 500-600 dollars. Might as well add another 200 give or take to get the bobber bowl and other fittings. The thruxton led looks ok and would be cheaper. But IMO bobbers light does look so much better 🤤

1 - 11 of 11 Posts