Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I would like your help. I have picked up some T300 Speed Triple (adjustable) forks to fit to my ’96 Sprint (non-adjustable forks) – effectively upgrading the bike’s front end to Sprint Sport spec….. I expect to do this some weeks ahead, and I am wondering what the “pull-thru” should be, etc…?

My Sprint’s VIN is 30xxx, and the workshop manual I have shows 25mm for >Vin 29155 and 20mm for VIN 29156>, so it appears that both my Sprint and the Sprint Sport should be 20mm? (Standard setting).

Looking at the parts list, I see that my Sprint and a Sprint Sport should have the same top yoke (T2040917). However my bottom yoke would appear to be 2040930-T301 (>VIN 31311), but later Sprints & the Sprint Sport appears to have T2040945 (VIN 313127>) bottom yoke fitted.

I am wondering if there is something subtle that I should be aware of?

Has anybody else done this change, or can give me some reassurance?

Thank you in anticipation of your help,
Geoff
:wink:

[Footnote: Fyi, I have a T300 Speed Triple top yoke, and aware that the yoke and pull-thru are different. Thanks].

·
Premium Member
3,678 Posts
Pull through on the 94/95 S3 is 28mm on a 96 it was flush with top yoke as the tube length was shorter..

Most drop them through a little mine are at 32mm at the mo and everything is still V stable.

Don't know if that helps at all ?

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
The forks will fit 'cos they're 43mm - it's the stanchion length that matters and the pull through issue has been dealt with it seems. Have you upgraded the springs for your weight? My suggestion is progressives - the stock S3 forks will dive excessively on breaking unless you get the springs matched to you weight - I'd go to 15wt oil as well for less dive. You'll loose some of the plushness but handling will improve immensely and breaking with less dive will give you greater confidence and surety. I've still got my stock rear shock and have never felt the desire to upgrade it - though the rear shock on my Sprint has gone south( I put 95 S3 forks on it - at about 30mm), they, when the are functioning properly really are pretty good. It's always been the dodgey front that's been the issue with these bikes, so if you feel the urge to replace your 'rear' as it were, wait 'til it's bad before you do that. Static sag, is something you need to research - google that topic and it'll point you to a SportRider mag article more than likely - that'll give you the insight as to setting your bike up properly,you might want to seek professional help there or at least a buddy to help, if you're goin' to do it yourself. :razz:

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi “MotT3” and “trypcil”,

Thank you for your input and advice. I had not realised the stanchion tube length had changed (at VIN 29155/6, I guess?), and I am wondering which length my Speed Triple forks are? I will take a measure this weekend, and perhaps we could compare? I guess a comparison against my current Sprint forks may tell me also?

I have been a bit wary of looking at the Speed Triple parts and pull-thru, as there is a US (handlebar risers) and UK (clip-on handlebars) version which differs in the Top Yoke fitted. The Sprint Sport, which used up some of the Speed Triple parts when the T5 S3 version was introduced, appeared to be the best to compare – but I overlooked the experience you guys have!

Fyi, I put WP progressive front springs and a fully adjustable WP rear shock onto my Sprint about 2 years ago. I must say that the rear mono-shock is perhaps one of the best upgrades I have done, and can recommend the WP adjustable mono-shock. The front springs have been less successful (perhaps my size/weight) and my front non-adjusting forks “chatter” occasionally. I did wonder if the springs were for a different spec Sprint?

Thank you again for your help. I will report back.

I will follow-up on your other tuning recommendations, once I get closer to the “fit”. Thanks.

Best regards
Geoff

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Geoffe, when I swapped the forks on FrankenSprint I took the measurement from the bottom side of the lower triple tree to the center of the axle. I figured as long as I kept that the same, I wouldn't have to worry about the 'pull-thru'.
Hope this helps.
Terry

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Terry,

Thanks for the good tip. I think I will end up taking your approach.

Fyi, I took a couple of quick measurements (but I need to redo these carefully to verify). The Speed Triple forks I have appear to be 80cm from the axle centre to the outer flat of the fork cap. My Sprint's current forks appear to be 82.5cm.

I did think the Sprint Sport had the Speed Triple forks fitted, but I think I am concluding that the stanchion length is longer?

Thanks,
Geoff

1 - 6 of 6 Posts