Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all

planning my thruxton custom build and i want to replicate the LSL thruxton, without paying them for the pleasure....

now from what i can see, the front wheel on this has Bridgestone rubber on it, BT090 to be exact. however BT090 does not come in 18" size - only 17" rims. does this mean they changed the front wheel to a 17" design? can any of you eagle eyed modifiers tell if it indeed a 17" front wheel?

what are the benefits of running a smaller front wheel in the first place? i understand the bigger the wheel the better it turns, but triumph obvously put an 18" wheel on it for a reason? did any previous thruxton come out with a 17" front wheel?

ps. can anyone identify what bike that front guard is from?

·
Registered
34 Posts
G'day

yep looks like a 17 and did you see the related threads shown below about bigger more stable and smaller better tip in.

keep in mind that these bikes have conservative geometry and work really well they way they are [guessing this means diddly if you own a Deus tw - which i reckon are deadly [thats means wicked for any overseers].

Anyhow if trying build one like in the pics ....go for it they look great...but the more I look at modifying and the expense ...you may as well keep it standard and then buy another deus cafe or a Duc sport classic!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
i didnt see the related threads. ill have a look now.

i assumed triumph did set geometry pretty 'forgiving' when they designed the bike, which is why i asked if its an ok idea to change the 18" to the 17" pictured.

im thinking EXCEL Takasago 17x 4.5 rear and 17x3.0 front - nothing too wide as it upsets the style cohesion.

when stepping down 1", i assume the speedo will be out by a fraction? Also, what other changes to the front end will i need to consider to compensate for the loss of the 1"? im assuming the front will sit 1" too low and rake excessively?

why modify? why not? id rather not ride a standard bike - regardless of what it is or who made it.
oh and while DEUS make some really great bikes, id rather do it all myself for a fraction of the price. Plus, i get to learn at the same time! Knowledge = power!

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Hi,

I know very little about the Bonneville and Thruxton, so please take my comments with a pinch of salt, and check. (Fyi, I have a Thunderbird & Sprint and have looked into a few Triumph things, etc...that perhaps has "made me dangerous").

First, regarding a 17" wheel, you may like to take a look at the 2009 Bonneville spec ( http://www.triumph.co.uk/uk/Triumph Bonneville 2009_9391.aspx ). You will see that the front cast wheel is going to have the same sizings as you wish.

So: The forks/triple trees will take the wheel without change (I think guys go for the Honda forks because they are a high spec fork which is fully adjustable?). There will be appropriate gearing for the Speedo with this model that could be used. With the 2009 Bonneville (& SE) comes a shortened mudguard appropriate for a 17" rim. I guess you could alter the 'pull-thru' if the handling is too sharp?

I think the Bonneville/Thruxton uses the same front wheel hub as the Thunderbird & Legend. So what would I do? Buy a Legend front wheel (17" rim, single side brake disc) and possibly the Legend speedo drive, together with a 2009 Bonneville front mudguard, and be done!
What does this not give you, well, coloured rims, less fat rear tyre & wheel, fully adjustable front forks.......how important are these to you?

I hope these comment help with your thinking, and I apologize as a Thunderbird man encroaching into Thruxton-land.

Best regards
Geoff

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
thanks for the info geoff

if the 09 thruxton shocks are the same as the 09 bonneville's, the 17" EXCEL Takasago rims should fit fine.

Just need a speedo drive and the pictured carbon mudguard and im set

1 - 6 of 6 Posts