Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day fellas,

My Staintunes arrived yesterday so of course I was busy fitting them this morning. Everything bolted up nicely and fitted like it should. Loved the sound when I fired her up and took it for a short ride to see how it performed. Very happy with the result - I can hear it now!

Engine wise my bike is completely stock. AI is still connected and so on. The bike seems to be running quite well with the new pipes on. My question to any of you guys who have changed only your mufflers - did you feel the need to go up a size or two on the main jets or did you leave it standard?

At this stage I'm thinking I might leave the carbs alone. What do you think?

Cheers,

Russ

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
On 2007-01-17 05:55, Ruxton wrote:
G'day fellas,

Engine wise my bike is completely stock. AI is still connected and so on. The bike seems to be running quite well with the new pipes on. My question to any of you guys who have changed only your mufflers - did you feel the need to go up a size or two on the main jets or did you leave it standard?

At this stage I'm thinking I might leave the carbs alone. What do you think?

Cheers,

Russ
Running well - leave em alone. But if you can't leave well enough alone (my sickness) try tuning with the air screw, then maybe a main jet size up to see what happens. Then a K&N filter, another rejet, and then you can see how this turns into a vicious cycle. :-D

John

Oh - and lets see a pic.

[ This message was edited by: Thrux-ton-up on 2007-01-17 06:06 ]

·
Registered
93 Posts
Changed over to Staintunes a while back found I needed to rejet ,did the a1 removal previously .
At the time also changed to a K&N filter and had it dynoed, from memory(a bit hazy these days) I think I got an extra 10hp and dropped fuel range down from previously 200kms to 160kms.Have the jetting figures somewhere, if I can find them I will post them again otherwise do a search ,plenty of good info in past posts.

Found with a couple of mods a lot more responsive and fun to ride not to mention the sound....best other mod a 19 tooth front sprocket better cruising at speed and sits you at a more confortable rev range at 60kms also at 185 still tracking true and steady......with more to go....have fun! :cool:

·
Registered
716 Posts
Hi,
I have Staintunes also on my Thruxton. I ran mine for a short while all stock like you. The stock jets are 110 and while it may feel to you like it is running OK it is a bit lean and your bike will run MUCH better and pull harder if you just change just the main jets only. I did not mess with anything else just the mains and it is ALOT better than stock. Changing the main jets is not hard...I did it myself but if your not comfortable doing it have a shop do it...
I really recommend using Kehin 125 main jets with the Staintunes and PULL the rubber side snorkel out ...the snorkel sticks out of the side of the airbox under the left side cover. the snorkel just pulls out and it goes back in easy if you change your mind, but you won't put it back after you feel the difference ...this setup worked great for me...

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies gents,

I figure I have nothing to lose so will have a bit of a play with those mains I think. The bike doesn't seem to be indicating a lean condition but I'm keen to see if I can prove myself wrong. Thanks a lot for your assistance fellas!

Cheers,

Russ

·
Registered
176 Posts
I remember when I put my Staintunes. I had perma-grin for a week! If you decide to go with ocguys suggestion (which is a good recommendation) buy a carburetor screw kit. It will save you alot of time now and in the future.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts