Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been able to ride the last two days and encountered my first tire pressure warning on the Rally Pro. Both warnings from the back tire. When I call the maintenance menu up, back tire pressure was 39psi. This is after riding a bit. So, I put some air in this morning while cold and made sure it was 42psi. Hopefully just the cold weather. The warning certainly gets your attention on the TFT display!

·
Registered
Tiger 900 GT Pro Svartpilen 401
844 Posts
TPMS is good to have and makes checking pressure easier. I see it in the same category as self-cancelling blinkers that we did without for decades but it does some of the thinking for us. Being alerted to a drop in pressure when out riding is very helpful.

It doesn't kick in until the bike has gone a km or two so you can't check cold pressure before leaving home. It's handy out on the road and you are looking to fill the tank. Just check the pressure before you stop for fuel to see if it needs pumping up or not. Running temps mean it will be over the cold pressure by varying amounts depending on summer/winter etc.

If you get tyres changed at an independent shop you need to tell them it's there as their removal equipment can sometimes run into the unit inside. I think the Triumph system uses a sensor that sits around the valve stem. My previous Indian had the sensor on the opposite side and I had one shop bust it off the bolt.

The battery in them generally can't be changed so when it's gone it means a new sensor. There are some youtube vids of people removing the epoxy over the battery and swapping in a new one. OEM sensors can be expensive but there are cheap ali express units that look like the originals.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Speaking of Ali Express, I tried to make a purchase using PayPal and it wouldn't accept it even though it was an option shown. Has this happened to anyone else?

Chico

·
Registered
27 Posts
The TPMS is sensitive enough to change drastically with air temperature. This is as noticeable on low profile car tires as well. the amount of air inside is very limited and by way of that changes how much temp changes how much pressure as quickly. Mine will come up initI ally so I just monitor for the first few miles. Obviously if it is at 25 psi or lower, things need checked.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts