Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys just been looking at my speedmaster book and it stated the first service should be either 600 miles or 1 month.

the one month thing seems a bit early? any one know how much this service is?

my bike is just a month old now with nearly 200 miles on it, other than finding the chaine was very loose tonight its spot on.

i have tightend the chaine as per the book( 20 - 30mm movment) again and it now is a hell of a lot tighter than before, is it normal for it to slacken so much?

it was rubbing the plastic gard ontop of the swing arm.

·
30,178 Posts
I reckon that chain wasn't adjusted right at dealer set up, which is a disgrace. It shouldn't stretch that much in the first 200 miles.

I have heard folks mention figures of around 200 bucks I think for the first service, which is a rip off if you ask me. I negotiated mine into the purchase of the bike.

Don't worry too much about the 1 month thing, but if it were my bike, I'd be out racking up the first few miles and getting it in for the first oil and filter change asap - no point hanging around.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was also thinking it could not have been checked, i have been keeping an eye on it and thought it was slack but only realised ho much when i looked at the plastic cover on top of the swing arm was getting hit.
At first I thought I must have over tightened it as their was so much difference however I have checked it 3 times and I have exactly 20mm of vertical movement from the chain hanging naturally to the highest point I can move it. With my finger, I did it on blocks so I spun the wheel a few times and checked it again just to be sure I got it correct.

i am desperate to get the miles up as i have ordered the short slash cut pipes to be fitted when its in,

·
Registered
95 Posts
200 miles is much too early for the first service. My dealer said ignore what the book says and aim for about 750 miles. Some people have gone up to 1000 miles before doing the service. I had mine done at about 800 but I did change it myself at 80 miles to get rid of all the swarf that is invariably produced. If you do this, refill with dyno (non-synthetic) oil.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts