Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 500 miles and the dealer recommends first service for $200. Mostly it's the oil change and then a long list of inspecitons and minor adjustments.

Is this a yes or no service? I can channge the oil myself and look the bike over (plus take it in and have the light turned off) for a lot less.

Opinions/Suggestions?

·
Registered
227 Posts
I would take that 200, change the oil with it and not look back. With the left over cash, buy the factory shop manual from your dealer and you will still have cash left over. The only thing you can't really do yourself is turn off the service light unless you go buy dealer tool. If you want to flash your ECU with newer tunes you will need a VAG-COM ODBII USB cable. Once you start buying that stuff you get in over the 200 dollars but if you are going to keep the bike for a long time then it is worth the investment.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Hi,

For what it's worth, my opinion is if the bike's under warranty, or the warranty is still valid, then get it done by a dealer. Yeah they rip your eyes out, but for piece of mind, it's well worth it. If anything major goes wrong with the bike while it's under warranty and it hasn't been dealer serviced, then Triumph will find a way to get out of paying up !!

Once it's out of warranty, do it yourself simples !! :)

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Do it. My dealer charged me 300. Sucks. But if you have any problems they will give you grief. Like me. When I brought it in with 1200 miles with throttle body sync problems.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would take that 200, change the oil with it and not look back. With the left over cash, buy the factory shop manual from your dealer and you will still have cash left over. The only thing you can't really do yourself is turn off the service light unless you go buy dealer tool. If you want to flash your ECU with newer tunes you will need a VAG-COM ODBII USB cable. Once you start buying that stuff you get in over the 200 dollars but if you are going to keep the bike for a long time then it is worth the investment.
Good advice...I ended up taking it in at the last minute mostly because of time constraints, etc. I will get the dealer tool anyways and save service costs over time but like the other poster said, at least I am on record as having dealer rip off...I mean SERVICE done at the required interval and have a bit of good will with my dealer as well that hopefully will pay off later in kind.

Thanks for the advice...loving my XC btw...great bike!
(thoughts for another thread on another day but they gave me a MultiStrada 1200 as a loaner, the bike I originally wanted but could not afford. As it turns out I could not wait to get my Tiger back...I like it way better!)

·
Registered
24 Posts
I got my first 500 mile service for free from the dealer as part of the deal for buying my bike so it's no decision for me. It would be a tough decision otherwise.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi,

'If anything major goes wrong with the bike while it's under warranty and it hasn't been dealer serviced, then Triumph will find a way to get out of paying up !!

Once it's out of warranty, do it yourself simples !! :)
Thats not entirely true, in the front of the factory service manual it states that 'a person is able to do all the maintenance on the bike if they are good with hand tools', or something very similar to that.

They wont be able to get out of it if you have a factory manual and follow the directions.

I vote to save your money and get dealer tool, mine just arrived and its a great tool.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Sure, it's worth keeping the warrantee valid.
I'm ready for my 12000 service and after that I'm taking care of the maintence myself.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts