Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son passed his learner's licence test while we were away in Vietnam. I borrowed a Yamaha XT660 from my bike mechanic yesterday as Leonie's bike was having the valve clearances done (20,000Km).

Nice little bike. A bit choppy but OK as a learner. Daniel and I had a short ride for his first road experience with a few roundabouts, highway, U turns and my favourite twisties (near my place) albeit at a sedate speed. :)

Great to share the experience with him. Very enjoyable. Maybe we'll try heading up Mount Glorious next week. He is looking to buy a little Ninja even though I have warned him of the $ in repairing fairings. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Another 20- 30- 40 years and he'll be riding out with you to make sure you are safe . The 400 ninja is an excellent bike and quite an improvement over the 300 , my dad has had both .

·
Registered
8,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I must say that riding withe my wife as a pillion (or when she is on her own bike) is a really special time for me (and for for her). Riding with my son has added a new dimension to it all.

Thanks for your thoughts

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
My son bought a new Street Cup last September and we did a lot of riding together last fall. His skills developed quickly and he's become a passionate rider, especially now that he has relocated to southern California and has access to some great riding. Pass the torch...

·
Registered
8,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys. Leonie is worried for him (naturally) as a mother does. It great to share the experience and i have fitted a Sena SMH10 to his helmet.

He is trying to cajole me into buying a bike for him, but he needs to do that under his own steam (and finances). I may be soft but a soft touch, I am not.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Thanks guys. Leonie is worried for him (naturally) as a mother does. It great to share the experience and i have fitted a Sena SMH10 to his helmet.

He is trying to cajole me into buying a bike for him, but he needs to do that under his own steam (and finances). I may be soft but a soft touch, I am not.
Be aware that after he has won the lottery he'll be able to afford a BMW S1000RR>:)

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Riding with your son has got to be something special. (My kid won't touch a motorcycle.) Must have been all those years I took her to catholic school on the Harley... LOL.
I keep threatening that I'm gonna buy some little dirtbikes for the grandkids tho…

I'd love to teach them how to ride. Their mom keeps them busy with sports stuff though.

·
Registered
103 Posts
When my son first started roadracing I told him to follow me for the first two races. Seemed sensible.

Race #3 and he waved as he passed me. Didn't see him again except on the grid.

At first I was jealous, then I realized that people in front of me were falling off chasing him and I was getting more trophies!

Of course I never saw the top of the box until I made him ride with me for a few endurance races!

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Cool,mate.
I taught my daughter to ride when she was old enough.
Mum wasn't too happy about it, though soon relented.
Just waiting for my 3 boys to get the bug.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I remember the first bike show with my son...

I remember the first trip out with my son too...

Then his first pillion ride...

Then his first solo...

And this week we were at a show and he was eyeing up 100cc sports bikes which, for a father, is terrifying.

I think my most memorable ride of this ilk, was when we managed 3 generations all at once; my late father in his solo with me following on the outfit with my lad in the chair

·
Registered
103 Posts
Just finished my first bike ride with my grandson.

He was on an electric powered mini roadracer. I was on an electric scooter.

The closed course was indoors around the tables in an art studio.

He beat me. I highsided onto a table after hitting a dry (hard) kitchen sponge left on the track.

My wife said my eyes looked pretty big as I slid across the table...

·
Registered
103 Posts
I think my most memorable ride of this ilk, was when we managed 3 generations all at once; my late father in his solo with me following on the outfit with my lad in the chair
My wife and I were pit crew for a fellow who managed to ride an Endurance Race with three generations at once. His son and his grandson!

The best I have done is two generations with my son. Our strategy was to send him out to build enough of a lead so that unless someone passed me twice during my stint he could still regain the lead when he got back on! That strategy got us a few big trophies!

I thought I was holding up my end until my wife (in the scoring tower) announced that they were pulling me in for rider changes not based on lap times or remaining fuel but based on the color of my increasingly red face behind the visor... :-(

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I brought my youngest daughter a Honda XR100 when she was 9, she was a natural and picked it up pretty quickly within 20 minutes she was riding it like she been riding for years, we use to go to Manar Park a dirt bike riding property camping and riding for a week, there is a road to the main camp area and we were riding along it me on my CRF450X and half way along this road was a creek crossing I pulled up before the creek crossing and waved her through, silly girl she had no idea what I was doing, she just got in the creek crossing when I flew past her with my foot on her side dragging so more water could drench her, by the time she got to the other side she was soaking wet, I was pissing myself, she wasn't impressed but seen the funny side of it and it was a hot day as well but with the dust and wet she looked so funny, she never did fall for that one again, she was 10 at the time and now she is 22 and we still have a good laugh about that day.
Her and her BF are now into drift cars and she is doing up her S15 but when she gets her bike licence I am giving her my 2013 Thruxton but at the moment her car is more important to her anyway, so one day we will get out on the bikes together just hope she don't leave it to late.

Ashley

1 - 20 of 22 Posts