Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

First ride on a Ducati Sport 1000

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Greaser 
#1 ·
So, some of you remember by buddy who crashed his Thruxton... He's till hobbling around, much better though. But suddenly showed up about an hour ago on a brand new Sport 1000. This is was the bike I wanted to get, but couldn't find. So, the good friend that I am, I took it for a nice little boot to help break it in. What did I think?

Meh.

Yup, I know. I didn't want to believe all the haters out there, but they were right. "Meh" just about all I can say about it. I mean, it still looks sexy and sounds great, but MAN, riding it just made me fall in love with my Thrux THAT much more. My Thrux seemed so much more nimble and responsive, and just a joy to ride. Whereas the Duc was heavy and kinda... i dunno. Plus the clutch was the heaviest, twitchiest thing I has ever used. Overall a huge disappointment.

She's sort of like that super hot chick you always dreamed of getting with, and when you finally do (and I always do ;)) you're like... hmm, yeah not so much. lol

a.

#3 ·
Hmmm as they say...Your results may vary

I too am keeping my Thruxton also for a variety of reasons as you mentioned
BUT the Ducati Sport 1000S I rode was broken in and ripped.
The Sport 1000 did things (like lofting the front wheel in 1st and 2nd)
that my pretty much stock Thruxton can't do (in stock form).
To be fair the Duck has 80+HP 6 gears and a lot of low end torque...
all this made me think and caused me to change my Thruxton to get the
same type of performance I felt on the Duck and missed on my bike...so
your results may vary.

#5 ·
My Duc was NO FUN the first 1200 miles. None.
It took forever to break in cause it sucked to ride below 4000 rpm (which is the max for the first 600 miles). In fact it still sucks to ride below 4000rpm.
I opened it up a few times when the "I need to be nice to this thing" feeling wore off (coincidentally, it was at about the same time I realized I had a warranty until march 2010).

To go along with your hot chick analogy andrewp:
"Treat it like **** and it'll love you more."
The Ducatis absolutely LOVE to be beat on (girls, however, do not- SO DON'T GET CONFUSED. ANYBODY.)

I have to disagree with ocguyocguy though.
I think the Thruxton has better torque down low. On the Duc, I can't leave it in a gear and hammer my way out of a turn. The Thruxton, I can. I think the Duc is just geared better.

#6 ·
Apparently you didn't crack the whip on that SPortClassic to be saying " Meh " . I love my Thrux and all but a SportClassic outdoes a Thruxton or Bonnie in so many ways . Power , handling , etc . However a tuneup on a Bonnie if you take it to a shop is about 1/10th a Duc . Hence more beer and wiggit money .:D Thruxton is better .:D

#7 ·
You see, the right grip actually twists and makes the bike go faster. Try that next time you ride the Ducati.

Oh yes, and stop drinking the orange Kool-Aid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.