Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week at this time there was almost two feet of fricking snow on the ground, and we'd just spent three days in blizzard conditions. In fact, most businesses in Sioux City were closed Thursday and Friday.

It's now about 70 degrees and most of the snow has melted. I took advantage of that and rode about 70 miles through the Loess Hills of Iowa today. Is there anything sweeter than the first ride of the season?

Hey Vern, riding season has started in Iowa!!!

Kem

·
Registered
183 Posts
Speaking for Vern (as he lives about 30 mins down Island)
Today was beautiful but the next few days and the past few weeks have been wet. I had considered trying a wetsuit, but I think next week should be the turning point!!!!
John

·
Registered
256 Posts
I rode around the block on Saturday, but never got out of second gear. Does that count?

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On 2007-03-12 20:54, JhuFrank wrote:
I rode around the block on Saturday, but never got out of second gear. Does that count?
Did the ride make you smile? If the answer is yes, then it counted.

Kem

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On 2007-03-12 19:44, jaben wrote:
Speaking for Vern (as he lives about 30 mins down Island)
Today was beautiful but the next few days and the past few weeks have been wet. I had considered trying a wetsuit, but I think next week should be the turning point!!!!
John
I'd skip the wetsuit and hope the weather turns for the better next week. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Kem

·
Registered
130 Posts
Evening Gentlemen
Forecast isn't too bad for rain, temp is a little brisk. But should be no problem for black ice. I see insurance on the TBS this weekend. Going to start riding to work maybe next week, certainly by April 1. Is 70 in March normal for Iowa?

Ahhhhhhh spring :-D Do you have insurance yet John?

[ This message was edited by: TBirdVI on 2007-03-12 23:00 ]

·
Registered
256 Posts
LOL! I got my insurance up to speed on Friday afternoon at 4:58 pm. Insurance guy wanted to talk about pre-emergent on lawn. I wanted to get home and try my new helmet and gloves!

And yes the ride made me grin, big time!!!!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Thanks Kem for sending the good weather our way. I got a chance for a short ride after changing both bikes oil. Soon the season will be here and all will be well.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
On 2007-03-12 22:59, TBirdVI wrote:
Is 70 in March normal for Iowa?
Not normal, but I'll take it. It's going to be colder and rainy the rest of the week, but at least I got two rides in. I love spring! I hope all of you who deal with sub zero temps are riding soon.

Kem

·
Registered
962 Posts
43° F here today, that's riding weather! I have had my Tbird out a couple hundred miles this year so far, and it feels great.

I rode it up to the Triumph Open House last Saturday, and even won a T-shirt for the oldest Triumph that rode in (pretty sad commentary, I guess, but it was a cold overcast day). At the Open House was a new 1050 Tiger demo calling my name, so I took it out for a spin. What a temptation with which to start the season! That's an incredible bike. Well, mine's pretty incredible, too, plus it's paid for and the insurance is dirt cheap!

Take care on the roads, Triumph riders. :chug:

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
83 Degrees and beautiful on Wednesday. Road "The Green Wonderbike" 63 miles each way to work.

8" of snow on the ground today.

Go figure :???:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Not only was yesterday my first ride of the season, it was my first ride for 17 years !!

I was a little nervous, and rather "ring rusty", but kept to the quiet open stretches of road near to my home, and with 40 miles "flying time" clocked up, the confidence started to trickle back as the time and mileage passed.

By the time I put the TBird back in the garage, it felt a bit like the end of a first "date"- a few awkward moments, but getting to know each other and looking forward to seeing her again soon.

The UK weather forecasts are not good for next week, and even yesterday despite the glorious sunshine there was a gusty wind which made conditions a bit tricky, but hopefully it won't be too long before I can get back out there and gain some more experience. I will stick to the quiet roads and times for now and take extra care, before attempting anything too ambitious.

The funny thing is that although yesterday felt like turning the clock back 20 years, today my body is reminding me that I am 42, not 22. Quite a few little aches today, but the main one is across my face, because I haven't stopped smiling since!

·
Registered
256 Posts
I finally got my first real ride in on Friday. Rode to work on the Tbird. Talk about grins and happiness. Still need to do some work on the old bird and I cant find my body armor, had to wear a leather jacket.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts