Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is with disgust that I report the first real snowfall of the year! :BadMood

We had a scattering the other night, but tonight we're expecting 2 inches.

I'm quitting this board, and I'm going to sign up with ski-doo.com.

They say Canada has 2 seasons - winter and "bad-sledding."

This year it's true.

What a crap year for biking!:(

·
Registered
132 Posts
thats what you get for living in Alberta. Probably oil sand damage to the atmosphere.. ;)

Come west. Longer riding season.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I hate snow! It's going down to the low 40s F tonight, but will be 90 on Wednesday. The geese have been flying over my house at dusk, and hordes of song birds pooped all over my cars yesterday as they prepared for their journey south.

Did I mention that I hate snow?

·
Premium Member
17,294 Posts
I just got home from a fabulous ride home from work, along a great canyon road. The aspens might really start changing in another couple of weeks.

Tell you what; send your Bonnie down here, I'll make room in the garage, and you can visit whenever you'd like. The riding in January might be a bit warm to a Canadian, but I'm sure you'll cope.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Back in my hometown of Saskatoon, I remember being on the phone with my good friend who married a girl from Adelaide, Australia where he was working landscaping. Their summer temperature was hitting +40C (about 105F) and we were at -40C (-40F). It rains a fair bit in the city here (Vancouver) - but when it rains in the city, it's snowing in the local mountains so that's fine by me.

I used to see a guy on an old bike of some sort near Saskatoon, middle of winter when the highways were clear. It'd be -25C out.. (-14F)

·
Premium Member
22,706 Posts
Moose Jaw saw a few, Moosomin too
Runnin' back to Saskatoon
Red Deer, Terrace and a Medicine Hat
Sing another prairie tune
Sing another prairie tune

·
Registered
132 Posts
hehe, there's a few other songs with Saskatoon in them or about it.. best one I think is the Tragically Hip, Wheat Kings. Story of David Milgaard - put in jail for about 22 years though innocent.

·
Registered
132 Posts
ps - snowboarding on S.A.N.D. is not much fun. Tried it. And its not as fun sitting in a hot tub drinking cold beers after being in the warm sun all day, best enjoyed after a nice day of snowboarding. :)

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
Remind me not to move to Canada! at least you can ride in the rain!

·
Registered
132 Posts
I am in Vancouver, Canada, winter here is quite similar to what I experienced when living in Ireland, though I thought there was a colder wind blowing in from the North Sea over there.. Average winter day in my mind in Vancouver is +7, raining a good chunk of the day. You could probably ride here at least 355 days a year if you wanted easily enough.

·
Premium Member
2,849 Posts
Its gong to be Sunny and 25 Degrees tomorrow and todays not going to be far off. I'd hate to still be living in Medicine Hat with a bike, I wasn't riding back then.

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
I just got home from a fabulous ride home from work, along a great canyon road. The aspens might really start changing in another couple of weeks.

Tell you what; send your Bonnie down here, I'll make room in the garage, and you can visit whenever you'd like. The riding in January might be a bit warm to a Canadian, but I'm sure you'll cope.
So dont you get bad weather there in New Mexico ? no rain , snow, high winds .....nuthin ?? We are heading towards summer now but that just means lots of rain ( sub Tropical) cant wait for May .:)

·
Registered
364 Posts
Mid 80'sF forecast here in north central Texas today, with a slight chance of showers. The heat has been a bit oppressive for the past two months or so, but our real riding season is now through next June. Sorry, just sayin'.

We trudge on (warm and dry).

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
Back in my hometown of Saskatoon, I remember being on the phone with my good friend who married a girl from Adelaide, Australia where he was working landscaping. Their summer temperature was hitting +40C (about 105F) and we were at -40C (-40F). It rains a fair bit in the city here (Vancouver) - but when it rains in the city, it's snowing in the local mountains so that's fine by me.

I used to see a guy on an old bike of some sort near Saskatoon, middle of winter when the highways were clear. It'd be -25C out.. (-14F)
Good old Saskatoon...I lived just to the west of it out in Pike Lake, about 1km from the park there.

Saskatchewan was the only place I've ever lived where I used 4wd more in the city (Saskatoon) than in the country (Pike Lake). Circle Drive, strangely enough, was usually ok in the winter.

Saskatchewan is a unique place. I vividly remember my first white out conditions on a car drive from Estevan back to Saskatoon. Then there was a time my wife and I were driving my truck from Nipewan over to Waskesiu and the highway turned into what would best be described as a farmers turn row, complete with what appeared to be meter deep ruts. Thankfully, I had 4wd...crazy stuff. I remember the best northern lights display I had ever seen one October night. Crazy green lights in the sky dancing like ribbons in the prairie wind...amazing to see. All good stuff, but not the best motorcycle riding place I've been in!

Nowadays, its riding year round motorcycle riding in the desert southwest. Today is going to be 100, but the heat should break towards the end of the week. We'll be coming into our good riding weather in the next month or so.

·
Premium Member
17,294 Posts
So dont you get bad weather there in New Mexico ? no rain , snow, high winds .....nuthin ?? We are heading towards summer now but that just means lots of rain ( sub Tropical) cant wait for May .:)
We get rain, just not very often, and usually conveniently timed. In the summer, we get a shower most days between 3:00 and 3:45, give or take ten minutes. Very refreshing, actually. And once (normal year) or twice (we year) a summer we get a real downpour, that dumps some serious water, and washes some crap into the roads.

Regular snow in the mountains in the winter, but I can usually get in at least a Sunday afternoon ride through the winter months. The roads usually dry crystal clear in a day or two after snow. The last time a month went by with no riding was October of 2009, and that was because of travel; besides that, it's been almost two years of riding every month, year round.

In the spring, you have to watch out for the grit they put on the roads when it snowed, and springtime in NM means wind. 40-50mph winds are pretty normal in the spring.

So I can't claim it's the best riding climate on earth (from what I hear, I'd have to give SoCal or Hawaii the nod in that regard), but I like to see changing seasons, so this is my favorite riding climate that I've ever found.

·
Premium Member
4,023 Posts
I feel your pain, I had the opportunity to be in Edmonton last December. Never again, I say. I'm sure it's wonderful in the summer(what 45 days?) but you can have it!!!
Here in eastern PA, the leaves are just starting to show a little bit of colour.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts