Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I've just found myself with a 95 Speed Triple. Always loved the look of them but never really chased one down, and coming from a long series of late models Japanese bikes I haven't had to deal with an 'antiquated' engine for a while :rolleyes:

Couple of questions though, hoping you can help me out.
1. It really seems to stumble at low revs, maybe less than 3K? It could be my riding style, and I don't think the clutch is slipping. I just expected the triple to pull a little more smoothly down low. Indicative of anything?

2. The guy I got it off had a couple of frame sliders waiting to be installed. Not sure if I'll put them on yet, but if I do are there an extra things to watch out for considering the stressed member engine?

3. I'm keen to upgrade the brakes. Usually I notice a huge improvement by just adding braided lines on most bikes, but not against swapping over to a new caliper set-up, any recommendations?

4. I love that the engine sounds like its got a bag of loose nails inside. Well, I love it if that's normal. It is normal right?

Thanks in advance for any insight, I'm sure you'll see me around.

·
Registered
62 Posts
hey dude, welcome to the forum.

1. i find the motor dosnt pull really hard until 3k but i know mine needs some tuning after putting a 3-1 on so maybe the same for yours, other guys will have more to say on this...

2. dunno, sorry man. buti dont think it would be an issue to mount the knobs on the engine.

3. these models came with braided lines standard, some guys on here have put 6 pots on from super 111's. they will also be more help here.

4. yes, they are a bloody noisy motor. id be more worried if mine went quiet.

cheers!
hedgy.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
1. These engines really don't have that much torque and struggle some at revs under 3,000 unless you're loafing. Down shift and you'll both be happier. The fun is in the upper half of the rev range.

2. No real opinion. It's been done. I've seen sliders mounted replacing the upper engine mount bolts.

3. Six piston Tokico second hand from a Hayabusa or big Kawasaki. They bolt right up. Plenty of info on here if you search the forum. Best performance money spent. Before you purchase braided steel lines make sure you don't already have a set covered in black plastic.

4. Yep, the rattles at low rpms are normal. Sometime the alternator drive will break bolts and add to the noise. Again, search the forum for more info. Have you noticed how sweet it sounds at 7,000+ rpm?

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
Welcome in..;-)

1. It should pull cleanly in "lower" gears below 3K, in fact apart from 1st for general spirited riding changing up at about 4.5-7K. 6-6.5K carries peak torque & will whip you past the ton quite briskly ! In fact I think the sound is best in second as you get more of the engine noise & less wind noise. If you are getting rough running below 3K it could be another issue that will need sorting.

2. No idea about sliders a few on here have them, seems to be no isseus with mounting them.

3. First up bleed the brakes through well, a vacuum tool will do a great job here, while your at it I would do the clutch & rear brake too. The front needs bleeding anywhere from 3-6 month intervals to keep lever travel to a minimum, also winding the lever span adjuster out if your hands are big enough can help a bit. Tokico 6 pots do indeed bolt right up and offer better braking but aren't the beat quality calipers in the world and need to be cleaned to keep them at their best (fiddly job with 12 pistons) but they are better. Special edition Triumphs back then came with Triumph branded 6 pots made by a british firm called Alcon, few and far between but if you can get some they are by far & away the best upgrade, ceramic coated pistons & much better power & feel.

4. Yup if they sound quite chances are the valves need doing as they would have closed up, plus there is always plenty of other rattling & weerrring going on down there ;-)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. Search is my friend, I'm finding answers I didn't know I needed yet.

Didn't know about braided lines, don't remember seeing any, will have to look closer.

Good to be around!

·
Registered
445 Posts
1. 6-9 is where the action is

2. Frame sliders from GSG are the way forward

3. Braided lines or Alcon 6 pots........

4. If it does not sound like it is broken, it is

12 years of ownership. If you can only have one bike, this is it

·
Registered
74 Posts
Short of replacing the calipers a set of EBC HH brake pads do wonders. They also have rotors. I have them on my 95 sprint and they work great.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts