Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back Story

Never owned a triumph but have had lots of motorcycles over the years,bought this bike as a "spares or repair" last year,no service history,bike had been stood outside for some time but under a cover,the guy that sold it to me said that the previous owner had passed away and the bike had just stood since then,I did a few checks online and found mileage was genuine - 48k,and it had actually not turned a wheel since 2012 ! Having spannered carefully over the last three months with some great help from the members here when needed,Ive carried out a considerable amount of work to bring the bike back to a reasonable standard.

Riding observations and questions

The appeal of a triple is now obvious,plenty of torque and a very strong engine that sounds a treat through an aftermarket Quill slip on.Wind protection is poor at anything over 70 mph though and I'm not that tall - 6 feet which leads to my first question.Which screen if any would help with this ?

Criticisms so far are : soft front brake,it does the job but doesn't inspire confidence,fuel gauge is working but vague,engine temp gauge has never (so far) climbed above a quarter of it's range no matter how you ride it,has an odd tendency to waft hot air from the engine to the top and back of your legs,which is a bonus here in the cold UK but on a hot day ?

So fellow sprint owners anything else I should be looking for/at ? Do all of these sound quite "mechanical" at start up for the first time ? Do they all need 6 or 7 spins of the starter to catch ? Questions Questions.......

·
Registered
23 Posts
My 2001 ST usually catches on the 3rd spin or so when starting, and does sound like a bucket of rocks compared to something like a Honda. The coolant temp gauge never goes above a quarter while riding, but if you're sitting on a warm day (over 20C) it may start going up. If I'm sitting idling a few minutes at 30C after riding a while it goes up to half pretty quickly but holds there with with the fan running. On a hot day the fan will run a minute or two after you shut off.

Brakes on mine have always been a little soft on first squeeze after moving, I think one front disc may not be perfectly straight so the pads get pushed back a little. Lots of people upgrade the brakes as well.

Fuel gauge doesn't start dropping until 100 miles into a full tank. You should be able to go 180-200 miles on a full tank, after a couple tanks you'll see how it works.

I'm 5'8" and my helmet is in a turbulent zone with the stock windshield (with Corbin seat, might be a bit lower than stock seat), if I raise my head a few inches it gets much quieter. I've wondered whether a double bubble screen would change that much, but I've put 60K miles on it like it is.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I have a 2002 Sprint ST and the brakes grab with authority, like my Ducati and much better than my Yamaha FZ 6. (I think a better choice of brake pad would improve the Yamaha.) I bought my Sprint with only 2500 miles on it. So I am still using the OEM pads.

As to wind protection, my bike is stock and will remain so. I wear a full face helmet and earplugs, so the ride is quiet at my average freeway speed of 80mph. I am 5’ 11” with a 32” inseam.

Yes it is noisy at idle, it i did not buy it to let it sit and idle.

I actually like the final drive ratio of your model year. In ‘02 they increased the front sprocket by one tooth, and I find myself in second gear on tight twisty roads. I would rather be in third gear. Both my Ducati and Yamaha have lower final drive gearing, when I replaced the OEM sprockets.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
It sounds like you might need to screw around with the calipers some and maybe Ferodo or EBC pads.
The problem is no coating on the caliper pistons and then they have the calipers connected with a line going up and over the fender. The caliper pistons don't retract properly and you can get air stuck in that connecting line.
I don't know what model Sprint you have but none of the windscreens I've tried really give an impressive amount of wind protection. The best you can hope for is the wind hitting you around the ears if you hunch over some.
It should start a little faster, I would think. I could be wrong but stouter battery to solenoid/solenoid to starter motor leads seems to make mine fire up pretty quickly. Maybe it's just spinning faster as it's getting the intended voltage.

·
Registered
382 Posts
If the bike is a 1050 '05 or '06 then about 6 turnovers before firing is normal. I believe it is ECU controlled from a cold start but fires quickly when warm.

·
3,120 Posts
OP, what motorcycle are you coming off of?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
3,120 Posts
Thanks, that is what I was asking. I always geeked out on the RC46's gear-driven camshafts. Such a unique sound.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
261 Posts
,fuel gauge is working but vague, has an odd tendency to waft hot air from the engine to the top and back of your legs,

Do they all need 6 or 7 spins of the starter to catch ? Questions Questions.......

Hi Stagini, treat the fuel gauge marks as thirds of a tank and it will make a lot more sense. i usually get around 240mi per tank and i ride in a spirited fashion. yes, 6 spins to start is normal as is the heat coming off the engine.

·
3,120 Posts
So the fuel gauge issue. That is the result of using a linear fuel level sender in a non-linear (shaped) vessel. When my bike's fuel gauges come off the Full mark, I have a bit over half a tank left. Like my friend above, I can get about 240 miles on a tank. The needle starts to move at about 100 miles, and it's a quick trip to indicating empty by 150 or so miles, but I will still have at least 2 gallons of fuel left. Call it character.

As for wind protection, not being 6ft tall (I'm 5ft 9), I can't relate. I do have a Laminar Lip that I use in colder weather, which all but has me out of the wind. Steve Ford is taller than I am, so maybe he can opine on the Laminar for more Groot-like stature folks.

Heat from the engine. Take a Sprint 1050 out in traffic. You'll never mention heat wafting off a 955i again. Also, what pants do you ride in? Makes a difference. I ride in a set of KLIM Badlands Pro pants, and they provide a ton of thermal protection on my legs and I never feel engine heat. But if I'm wearing my riding jeans, I can feel just a little bit, in traffic while riding in 100 degree heat.

How are you liking the Triumph after more time? I was a Honda loyalist for a couple of decades, but there's just something about these Triumphs.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
How are you liking the Triumph after more time? I was a Honda loyalist for a couple of decades, but there's just something about these Triumphs.
Yes there is, and any bike that is different in some way from the status quo. The Triumph Triple, Ducati twins (especially air cooled), certain Honda’s with gear driven cams, etc.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited by Moderator)
Time will tell,I do like a bike with character - however that chooses to express itself.I do feel it's already half way there though solely through being a combination of British and a triple.
The fact that even my older ST is still relevant for 2020 after a bit of tinkering speaks volumes.

If my plan which has been forever in the "lets do that next year" stage ever comes off then my son and I will be going to the TT at some point .Our two bikes will be this Sprint and a VFR,both good bikes and both very good for different reasons.It should be an interesting real world comparison as in fairness the VFR has set a tall bar.

Last comedy point.....How we decide who rides what has yet to be decided,I cant fight him over this as hes too tough,I cant baffle him with bull***t as he's fair on the spanner work too,

Any suggestions as to how we can (fairly) resolve this ? I already owe him £5 million pounds from a previous bet so bribery is also a out of the question.:D

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
A Laminar Lip certainly would not hurt.
No matter what you do it'll never be like my 955 Tiger with that gigantic barn door Cee Bailey windscreen, though.

·
3,120 Posts
Yup. The Laminar Lip is effective for sure. I don't use mine when it's warm out though.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts