Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, folks:

I have been lurking around here a bit as I just arranged to trade my old '68 Mercedes sedan for a '72 Triumph Daytona 500. This bike was purchased brand new by an older friend of mine, then sold to another old-timer I know. Now, after about 18 years of me drooling over it, it's finally going to be mine come springtime.

I'm no stranger to motorcycles, having been riding Japanese iron (mostly vintage Hondas) since my teens. But this is my first English bike, and I'm hoping I'll be able to turn to the community here whenever the inevitable head-scratching situations arise.

Today I went over and took a few pictures in the garage where the Triumph is being stored. Please take a look -- and if you can decipher which particular model it is, I'd sure like to know. I haven't figured out the nomenclature yet...is it a T100C or R or H? Also note the photo of the books, all of which come with the bike. Any others I should add to my Triumph reference library?

Hope this finds you all well. I look forward to "meeting" all of you.

Best regards,
Aircap

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi, folks:

if you can decipher which particular model it is, I'd sure like to know. I haven't figured out the nomenclature yet...is it a T100C or R or H? Also note the photo of the books, all of which come with the bike. Any others I should add to my Triumph reference library?
Aircap
Welcome Aircap,

It can be decipher easily what particular model it is by reading the machine/engine number, tell us what is the engine number. I tried to read in the picture but failed.

JaN

·
Registered
884 Posts
Aircap,

Welcome to the forum you'll find alot of friendly help here. Yea I'm drooling over her too!!!Looks like the only thing you need for a fully stock bike are the original mufflers. Looks like a Daytona to me. What do the serial numbers reveal? Are they matching?

If it were me and that bike was going to stay where it's at for awhile longer I'd waste a can of WD-40 or Boshield on the exposed parts because it looks like it is close.

What part of the country are you in? (fill out your profile)

If you don't mind me askin' how much$$$$?

That is exactly what I want to complement my '72 TR 6 Tiger 650.

Again welcome.

TD

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Hi Aircap and welcome! Looks like you got a 1972 T100R Daytona in Cherry red and Cold White. The engine / frame numbers will be needed to date it properly. Good bike in it's day, you could just about squeeze 110mph out of a Daytona in good fettle.

They like to rev like the CLASSIC Japanese bikes you are used to, however the gearbox is not so good and you will find it slow in operation. Really good project though.

One book you would find advantageous is Tiger 100 / Daytona by J.R.Nelson ISBN 0-85429-489-9 or Haynes No.F489. There is also a seperate parts supliment you can buy with it, very useful.
Roy.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, thanks for the kind and quick replies, fellas.

You know, while I was shooting the pics yesterday, it crossed my mind to look for the engine and/or frame numbers, but I was wrapped up in conversation with the guy who has it...and spaced it off. (I was also late for work at the time.)

As I wrote before, I have been good friends for 20 years with both of the bike's previous owners, both of whom are over 60 years old. I tried like hell to buy it from the first owner about 15 years ago, when he sold it to the guy who has it now. (Bastard!) To the best of my knowledge, the engine is original to the bike. I won't have time to go back over there and double-check that until probably this weekend, but when I do, I'll post what I find out.

There are also a number of extra parts and assorted goodies that go along with it, including the missing chain guard (removed deliberately by current owner, who hates them). God only knows what else. When I find out, I'll post that here, too.

Anyway, I won't actually take delivery of the bike for another month or more...I still have to make one last payment on the old Benz I'm trading for the Triumph, so until the state sends my title back, everything stays where it is. (I have to say I love that old Benz, but I'll be happy to get my garage back!) The old-timer I'm trading with has got a bum leg that's getting worse; he isn't riding as much these days, so he's thinning out his collection, and he knows I've long lusted after the bike -- plus I'm sure he's been fantasizing about the plush comfort of the Benz's delicious seats. LOL

I appreciate your feedback, folks. When I get more info together, I'll post again.

WAIT A MINUTE! I just went back through the pics I shot yesterday and enhanced the one that shows the engine number...

Looks like it says maybe:

FG40064
T100R

Anybody want to weigh in on that?

Thanks again...will post more soon!

Best,
Aircap

·
Registered
625 Posts
the G makes it a '72, but there is no F ... I agree that the pic seems to show an F ... dunno ... someone probably knows whatever anomale that is ... or maybe it's an imcomplete E which would put it being built in May.

The 500 is a lot of fun and you'll certainly enjoy it! Parts are readily available and they're easy to work on.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Nice bike. I see all that drool after 18 years rusted it up a bit. Hah! Good find, though. I had a '72 Bonneville and loved it, but not as much as my '07.
Good luck with the project!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I bet that F is a P. I just recently acquired #PG39975 T100R. (your bike looks like it is in a lot better shape than my basket case)
I think it is just the lighting that makes it look like an F.

By the way, I'm new here too, this is my first post. I've been lurking for a while and I must say that all of you guys all seem very nice and helpful to us newbies!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Doc Taco: I bet that F is a P. I just recently acquired #PG39975 T100R.

So then would that mean your bike rolled off the line 89 units before mine?

·
Registered
221 Posts
nice bike you got there mate....i am looking for a triumph like that for my son .. as he has just got his licence,,, and i want to get a bike for him ,.to fix up and ride ,,,as he has been takeing my tr6 for a ride and loves it ,,,all he needs to learn is to fill it with gas be for he comes home ,,i think he gets that from his mother ,when ever she takes my ute it comes back whith a near empty tank ...,and i never use there cars so i carnt do it to them ,,,,, are you going to do a full strip down?? or just give her a good clean up and get her going??? keep us all informed on what your up to with lots of pics.....albert the tiprat

·
Registered
45 Posts
So then would that mean your bike rolled off the line 89 units before mine?
I guess so! I'll be watching for your progress. I'll try to get some pics of mine up too. I haven't started the tear down yet but hope to soon.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
tip rat: are you going to do a full strip down?? or just give her a good clean up and get her going???

Hey, Albert...I probably won't do a complete teardown, but do intend to do a lot of basic cleanup & overdue maintenance. The bike fires up and runs now, as the guy who has it now has made a habit of kicking it over and running it around the block occasionally. But I definitely will be working to stop the march of corrosion and refresh things like the seat and brightwork.

I feel like a kid a month before Christmas. LOL

·
Registered
223 Posts
"all he needs to learn is to fill it with gas be for he comes home ,,i think he gets that from his mother ,when ever she takes my ute it comes back with a near empty tank ...,and i never use their cars so i can't do it to them..."

Sure you can tip. All you need is a siphon hose to refill your tank from the guilty party's vehicle.

·
Registered
221 Posts
mate my wife and son use E10 blend gas ,thats 10 precent ethenol ,,i only use 98 octain in my tr6..and then i use a lead addative ....works for me .........albert the tiprat

·
Registered
223 Posts
Ah, the siphon hose is no help with the bike then. Does your ute burn the same gas they use? Perhaps you should siphon their gas off into the ute, or even a can. Your point would still be made. You could even put a can with a gallon in the trunk for them, if they drive off without checking the gauge. That way when they call you in a snit from the side of the road, you can have a good laugh at their expense, and you still won't have to go rescue them.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Looks like the only thing you need for a fully stock bike are the original mufflers.
So, sorry if the question is stupid, but what kind of mufflers were originally on the bike, and where might I source replacements? I would love to keep everything as original as possible. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts