Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, have just joined the club though not new to Hinckley Triumphs. I bought my first Daytona 955i in 2010..A 99 model with 21k on the clock. I live in Denmark and the Daytona wasnt sold new here so off I went to Grimsby to take charge of her and ride her back via the no defunct ferry to Esbjerg. It had a Wunoff underseat pipe which was fantastic. Put bar risers on from Topyokes.com and that was that really. Never missed a beat in 3 years apart from a bad earth on the sidestand switch. I saw a racing yellow evil eye last model at a bike meet and so the bank balance was again reduced. This one is a 05 and had 8k on the clock when I bought it..This time from Aberdeen. Its also racing yellow with the flag nosecone. Triumph race can and again a neighbour waker. Once again bar risers were ordered as I am just too old to have my nose on the floor and backside in the air and once again..a brilliant bike. Also bought a 05 Sprint 1050 ST last year as wife has no started to sit on the back and the yellow lightning just isnt built for maturing ladies. She used be able to get here knees up to her eyes but that was back in......well I dont recall. We are a group of 10 off around Europe in July so comfy seat required.
Now to my small problem. My beloved Daytona has given up on me twice with a years gap..same problem each time. The battery was just more or less dead. Its a 3 year old battery and holds charge just fine. The rectifier seems to be putting out the required voltage, though I do find it a bit low..around 12.8V..I compared with the Sprint and thats about the same. I did change the rectifier not long after I bought it as the original basically caught fire though was luckily next to the bike when it did if. Sooo..any ideas why the battery would just be drained for no apparent reason ?? Any thoughts would be welcome. Thank. Steve DK

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
22,196 Posts
... The rectifier seems to be putting out the required voltage, though I do find it a bit low..around 12.8V..I compared with the Sprint and thats about the same. I did change the rectifier not long after I bought it as the original basically caught fire though was luckily next to the bike when it did if. Sooo..any ideas why the battery would just be drained for no apparent reason ?? ...
12.8 is WAY low - you should be near 14 on a Daytona
If you replaced the R/R the stator is likely the problem - a simple test is to unplug it and measure resistance between any of the three pins back to the stator and engine ground - it should be infinite (open circuit) - if you have short, stator is toast.
Another common issue is the connector plug is burned - note that there are TWO in line to your R/R - the one up by the R/R, but there is another out of the stator - normally resides behind the top left rear engine mount - very common to have that burned. If you're lucky that's all it is - but you still need to check the stator isolation

12.8-ish would be low for your Sprint also - Sprint 1050 is normally closer to 14 also, although the Sprint 955 tends to be a bit low at idle (although that one will come up to par if rpm raised up slightly)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts