Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. My name is Brendan and I live in Sydney. After many years of not riding I recently bought my third Triumph, a 1979 T140E Bonneville which I am now servicing and giving a bit of a makeover. (My previous bikes were a 1973 T120 Bonneville and 1973 T100 Daytona.)

I have a problem I am hoping folks can help me with.

I want to replace the front wheel bearings but I can't remove the reverse thread bearing retainer ring on the front wheel. I tried removing it with a two pin removal spanner I bought from a local Triumph parts dealer but all I ended up doing was bending the arm on the spanner 45 degrees. (I'm not sure the spanner was a genuine OEM tool and the dealer from whom I bought it now refuses to respond to my emails!).

I then soaked around the ring with WD40 overnight and the next day tried to loosen it with a drift and a hammer but despite tapping away for half an hour (gently at first but finally with a fair bit of force) it simply won't budge. All I've succeeded in doing is severely damaging one of the pin holes.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

·
Administrator
19,459 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

The best forum for advice with your classic Triumph is the Classic, Vintage, and Veteran forum. That is where you will find the folks with the knowledge and experience with the classic Triumphs. Introduce yourself there, post photos of your T140E, and engage the members with your questions.

http://www.triumphrat.net/classic-vintage-and-veteran/

Best of luck getting that retaining ring out! I do not know what that retaining ring looks like, but as an aircraft mechanic I have had stubborn retaining rings and have used small flat tip screwdrivers to shimmy behind the ring and gently pry it out (the ring will need to be replaced if it bends in the process). But not all retaining rings were designed with the lip that allows the insertion of the screwdriver behind the pin holes.

Cheers!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts