Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All-

Just joined and dropped an intro into the Welcome section. Thanks for having me.

I picked up a 96 T-Bird that looks the part but sounded really rough--only runs with the choke on, backfires...you know the drill. It had been rejuvenated by the local dealer and then sat for 4 years while only putting 20 miles on the clock. Figured the carbs could stand a good cleaning but they were better than I expected. Minor gumming and varnishing. I neglected to spray with starting fluid before I tore into it, but the rubbers look to be in pretty good shape so I'm not immediately thinking vacuum leak. I've cleaned almost everything out and put it back together. I have an airbox on order and once it comes in I'll put it back together and see if it fires.

I didn't get a rebuild kit, I figured it was redone recently and the bits would be in good shape and I could clean and blow out the jets. While I think that all went OK, there was one (actually 2) oddities I have a question about. On the bottom of the horn that faces the engine, there are 2 cavities at the bottom; one of them has a slot like a jet, the right one as your facing it. One carb 1 and 2, this doesn't pass a blast of carb cleaner. On carb #3 it does, and the passage ends up in the float bowl.

I tried to pull out the blocked jets but they're small and I just screwed up the face. I've resisted putting anything into it to clear it as I've read that's no bueno. But being blocked seems bad too. And advice for how to handle this? And what am I looking at? The part doesn't seem to be included in any of the kits anyway.

Thanks for any guidance.

IMG_1380.jpg

·
Registered
576 Posts
Been a while since I tore my Bonneville carbs apart, so I don’t recall seeing these holes or not. My guess is that they should both be clear, especially if that is the case on your other two carbs. I would try soaking it in a solvent - carb cleaner, and then using a soft nylon brush.
Fail safe would be to message Forchetto- a member on the Hickley Twins Forum - he will know what to do.
Good luck, and welcome to the Forum

·
Registered
287 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum. The jet that you highlighted in the photo is the idle air jet. Similar to fuel jets, it meters the amount of air to the pilot (idle) circuit. That passageway should definitely be clear. I doubt that the jet itself is blocked but maybe there is some blockage further into the carb body where it meets up with the rest of the pilot circuit.

I would soak the lower part of the carbs in some mineral spirits or carb cleaner until it clears. Be patient with it and it should clear eventually.

Noel

·
Premium Member
3,414 Posts
Those are the jets for emulsion air. There are tiny holes in the side of the pilot jet and in the main jet holder where air is mixed with the fuel. They are pressed in and you cannot remove them without destroying them. One should connect to the well where the main jet and its holder screw in and the other to the well that holds the pilot jet.

The photo shows the side of the carb that faces the air cleaner, not the engine. (Maybe I misunderstand your statement.)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the info and advice. I picked up a different brand of carb cleaner and a brush and didn't even need to use the brush (altho it was too big anyway). The carb cleaner cleared it out. Not sure what I was using before but it definitely didn't work. I'm back on the right path. Thanks again!

·
Registered
125 Posts
No matter into which hole you spray carb cleaner, it should come out somewhere. If it doesn’t, it’s clogged. Send down straw from the carb cleaner sprayer, tip should be tapered. This will help when spraying cleaner into the carb passages. After you spray cleaner, let it sit overnight, next day so the cleaner again followed by air from the compressor. Do this several times and it should be good. Buy carb cleaning tool and make sure all jets are clean. Clean needle and vacuum piston (don’t spray rubber parts with carb cleaner as it will district them). Valve seats and valves should all be very clean before you assemble carbs.
Buy small external fuel tank https://www.amazon.com/ALPHA-MOTO-Motorcycle-Professional-Compatible/dp/B004NV42PQ
and once carbs are assembled, connect line from that bottle to the carbs and let them fill up with fuel and stay that way overnight to make sure carbs aren’t leaking anywhere. Start using fuel stabilizer to help with fuel in the carbs if bike sits for long time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts