Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend I spent a few hours dressing up my SE. I installed fork gaitors, an anodized brake fluid reservoir, bar end mirrors, and I peeled off those funky stick-on reflectors from the forks. This forum came in very handy while bleeding my brakes after insalling the new reservoir. I tried the "tie the brake handle back and let it sit overnight" trick, and it worked perfectly. Thanks for that Prop! Here are a couple of pictures of my new and improved Bonny...

·
Lifetime Premium
1,670 Posts
Looking good! I'm lovin' the rainbow colours on the headers.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Have you tried to remove the rear fender reflectors? I would like to remove them, if removal of the paint underneath them could be avoided.

I haven't tried yet, but I would be inclined to use a heat source (hair dryer), rather than simply pulling them off, as you apparently did for the fork reflectors. I assume that the fork paint underneath the reflectors stayed put.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Removing the front reflectors didn't hurt the paint at all. They are stuck on with what appeared to be simple double sided tape, the thick foamy kind. I pulled them off using only my fingers, and got the sticky remnants off with a WD40 soaked cloth. I'm pretty sure the back reflectors are the same.

Russ

·
Registered
63 Posts
The rear reflectors are attached with the same double sided tape as the fronts. I found that by grabbing the ends and twisting (like unscrewing a jar lid) they came right off. A lot of the tape stayed on the fender, but it came off easily by rolling it with my thumb and then the residue cleaned up with a little solvent. Absolutely no paint issues and I didn't use any heat.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Back reflectors have the same sticky part, but I scratched both sides taking them off. I used a screw driver with a towel underneath and it still scratched it up. It was my first time ever taking off reflectors, so I might have missed something easy.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Gracias, Buckshot and oldefart

Thanks for the helpful advice. The superfluous reflectors, after a dousing in 70% Isopropyl alcohol, twisted right off the forks and rear fender. The remnants of the doublesided tape succumbed to more alcohol and careful thumbnail scraping.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I finally removed my rear reflectors too. And while I was at it I performed a baffelectomy on my silencers. I used Mucksavage's method (step-drill bit) and the sound difference is incredible. Not so loud that it frightens women and children, just a good throaty burble.

Russ

·
Registered
104 Posts
I finally removed my rear reflectors too. And while I was at it I performed a baffelectomy on my silencers. I used Mucksavage's method (step-drill bit) and the sound difference is incredible. Not so loud that it frightens women and children, just a good throaty burble.

Russ
Glad it worked! The sound improvement is awesome!

Got a link on those bags? And did you have to buy some extra parts for your mirrors to install, or did they work out of the package? I had to buy some bicycle bar end pieces to get my napoleons to fit.

Muck

·
Registered
149 Posts
I quick and simple way of removing the back reflector along with most if not all of the tape is simply to use waxed dental floss tape and pull it along the length of the reflector. Comes off clean.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Buckshot - nice mods. I'm really digging the fork gaitors on the SE. I have an 09 Bonneville Black with the mag wheels and am thinking they would look awesome on mine as well.

How do you install them? Looks like that funky plastic shroud thingymer bobber (technical term) on the front side of the forks has been removed.

Anyway - if you could let me know if its a easy install or if it requires significant effort - I'd buy you a beer some day.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The bags are the Triumph nylon panniers, I had the dealer put them on prior to delivery. As to mirror fitment, I did have to modify the cylindrical aluminum spacers that came with the kit. They were too long so I filed them down until they were the proper length. Worked like a champ. JCF66, The fork gaitor install was pretty straight forward, they came with very good instructions. There is also a tutorial thread in the forum that I referred to a couple of times and it helped alot. The plastic fork protectors were pretty easy to remove, just tapped off with a hammer and piece of wood. The only tools I had to buy were a set of allen head sockets so that I could use my torque wrench on the tripple tree bolts. Not too difficult at all, and if you get stuck there are plenty of people here to help you out. Go for it man...

Russ

1 - 12 of 12 Posts