Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

First impressions from a new owner

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Ratboy1050 
#1 ·
Well, it has been about six weeks and those first few rides are already firming up the impression I had of the bike.

I was fortunate when I ordered my bike as there was a Triumph offer of £800 of free bits and bobs (of my choosing). So I duly chose:

Heated grips
Carbon fibre chain guard, wheel covers, tank guard and few other bits, plus cover and gel seat.

So far so good. I have pencilled in for the replacement exhaust at first service.

Now I am looking for a paddock stand, rear hugger, tail-tidy, rear sets and pazzo levers (thought I had managed to order those from the US, but been frustrated!)

Have a link to the stand, hugger and tail tidy - but no joy on the rear sets.

As for the bike for what it is meant to do as opposed to look - well it just keeps getting better.

Hit the 300 mile mark today, so can duly rev up another notch to 6k rpm and wow, did it feel like I had accessed a secret level in a PS game! The engine keeps getting better, the seat is bedding my backside in each time and I find myself (having been able to work from home today) looking for any excuse to get out and ride. Certainly not like the 749r - which is a lovely bike, but very uncompromising and an hour on it can feel like a day on the Triumph.

So, I for one and so pleased I finally have what others on here have called a superb all rounder and I would agree, might not the swiftest nor the most focussed, but it sure as eggs are eggs is a GREAT bike - and that engine noise, is as burbly as a twin, but the revs go like a four.

If you are having doubts about becoming a Sprint owner (mine is 1050) then I would say you should try one, because you're going to find yourself making room in the garage. And if the 955 is as good then, old or new, this is one hell of a machine and for once I am proud to say "It's British"!

:D

See less See more
#4 ·
That looks nice. Before buying any rear stand for a SSSA, verify that it can be used on either side of the bike. Some of them can not.

After using several home made ones, I decided I wanted a store bought set that I could use on my TL fork triple tree. The choice was between Pit Bull and T-Rex. Pit Bull had the finish quality advantage, while T-Rex had the best price. I opted for the T-Rex front and rear combo set with the triple tree adapter. Even though the front is Suzuki and the rear is Triumph, they completed the order correctly.

http://www.t-rex-racing.com/

BTW, their illustration of the rear stand is not up to date. It now has an extra horizontal tube.

Normal front paddock stand configuration.

Front stand w/triple tree adapter.

#5 ·
Hit the 300 mile mark today, so can duly rev up another notch to 6k rpm and wow, did it feel like I had accessed a secret level in a PS game! The engine keeps getting better, the seat is bedding my backside in each time and I find myself (having been able to work from home today) looking for any excuse to get out and ride. Certainly not like the 749r - which is a lovely bike, but very uncompromising and an hour on it can feel like a day on the Triumph.

:D
Well, if you are in love now, and only at 6K rpm. you are in for a treat once you can run her to redline. 5K to redline is where the fun is. Plus the sound from 8K to rev limiter is killer. Although I think you will find the Rev limiter hits as the bike is still pulling hard. It is something I had to get used to. For a "1" bike garage, I cant think of a better bike to have. If someone thinks differently, I'd like to try that bike, I know I sold my other bikes :D.

#8 ·
Thanks

Thanks OnD

Like the pics, and love your exhaust with the cf in it!

Will make sure I get the right one/s and the front is a must have too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.