Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was about 60 and sunny last Saturday in LA and I took a ride up the Angeles Crest Hwy. I moved here only 6 months ago from the midwest and was use to rough winter weather. After only driving about 10 miles or so up into the mountains there was snow everywhere. There were also large patches of ice kept cool in the shadows so I decided to turn around and head back but not before having to drive over a 30 ft patch of ice that covered the entire lane. It was terrifying, feels like riding a bicycle over a wet grated bridge. I didn't accelerate or lean because I could feel the bike waving back and forth underneath me. I never want to try that again but is there anyone who does have to traverse ice regularly? I really wish I could've rode longer that day but instead parked and went for a hike.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Ice and your motorcycle!

It was about 60 and sunny last Saturday in LA and I took a ride up the Angeles Crest Hwy. I moved here only 6 months ago from the midwest and was use to rough winter weather. After only driving about 10 miles or so up into the mountains there was snow everywhere. There were also large patches of ice kept cool in the shadows so I decided to turn around and head back but not before having to drive over a 30 ft patch of ice that covered the entire lane. It was terrifying, feels like riding a bicycle over a wet grated bridge. I didn't accelerate or lean because I could feel the bike waving back and forth underneath me. I never want to try that again but is there anyone who does have to traverse ice regularly? I really wish I could've rode longer that day but instead parked and went for a hike.

I'll say one thing for sure, you're a lucky SOB not to have that bike go out from under you, it only takes a heartbeat! You must have inherent skills somewhere within to have survived that.
I drove in Milwaukee for one whole winter, bike being the only transport at that time, did a massive whoop-de-doo through a busy intersection one afternoon and went immediately to the bike shop and got a sidecar! The rest of the winter was okay...whew!
Good analogy though, driving on a wet bridge grating...almost the same thing for sure....
Thanks for posting, we all learn that way! Mighty nice scenery, I'm from Florida, what are those big lumps in the background all covered with some kind of white stuff?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Yes, I watched amateur ice racing on Buckeye lake, near

Columbus, Ohio many years ago. The amateurs used short

sheet metal screws for studs, usually screwed into knobby

off road tires.

Riding on ice? Not good idea but if encountered, get up on

the pegs and minimal steering or braking inputs. It has been

my experience that this works for snow, slick mud and moss

covered rocky creek beds.

Clyde

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
jeff t
you got lucky. The crest ends near the 7,000 foot level.
The snow level was down to 3,500 ft.
There was still snow and ice on aliso cyn this weekend. And it is much lower.

Learn to keep n eye on the snow level and the altitude of your route ( use Google maps in the Terain mode). Look at local interactive radar to get the big picture.
shady corners, and there are many, will hold the ice for weeks due to the cold nights. seeps are also a problem.

when the snow level is low go play in the Santa Monica Mtns. No ice but beware of gravel and wet shady corners. the kinks just west of the rock store are wet and often have a thin film of algae growing on them.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I've ridden on ice and snow - but I certainly don't recommend it. Fun perhaps - but more risk than I'm willing to accept. Temps where I live here in Washington haven't been above freezing in weeks now, and there's a lot of ice and snow on the ground. My bike is safely tucked away for the winter. When I lived in southern California, I rode year-round, but there were times to stay out of the mountains with the bike.

Regards, Guy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts