Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My favorite bike shop closed so I decided to start changing my own oil. I drained the oil by removing the drain plug. Replaced crush washer and reinstalled plug. Removed old filter and discarded.

The manual says capacity for oil and filter change is 3.8 liters of new oil. That works out to four quarts US.

The manual also says to fill the new filter with oil before reinstalling, which I did. Then I put the remainder of oil in the bike.

But now, the level in the window is way different than before. Before, it was half full. Now it's just a bubble at the top.

Correction. Not even a bubble. That's weird. When I was draining it, it was just a trickle. But, I hadn't removed the refill cap yet. So now I get to drain it again, and put in only the specified amount? What happens when there's too much oil?

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Yeah - the oil settles in and the level can go up in the sight glass. No need to remove the drain plug. Take a piece of small tubing and place it down in the oil filler hole and syphon out some of the oil in to a container until you get to the right level. Afterwards, let the engine idle for a minute and check it again... you might just end up putting it back in! It's also a good practice to remove the oil filler cap when letting out the old oil to allow for free flowing drainage and no vacuum.

·
Registered
1998 T595 Daytona 2014 Kawasaki Ninja1000ABS
7,982 Posts
Did you warm up the engine before draining the oil or drain when cold? Not much of a difference, but many warm up the engine and thus oil to get more out. You shouldn't add all the oil that is recommended at first. I would add maybe 3-3.5qts and let the engine warm up without using any throttle. Once warm, shut off and let cool to check the oil level. You can always add some more if you want. Is the bike perfectly level when viewing the window? It has to be, very sensitive to lean. Too much oil is usually only a problem if a qt too much is added. You get foaming of the oil since it sits above the crankshaft at that level. You could open the drain bolt and let some oil out. Wear some disposable gloves. I wouldn't re-drain all the oil out.

·
Registered
248 Posts
yeah i over filled my ducati a few times... just crack the bolt enough to let the oil spill a little then tighten it back up. recheck. repeat if needed.
i never had an issue with a leak.

i wouldnt drain it all.

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
If you follow the directions exactly, it IS 4 quarts with filter to the top mark.

Drop old oil when warm. Wait a bit. Fill filter and re-install, add 3 and a bit quarts and run for a few minutes. Wait five minutes for the oil to settle. With the bike vertical, add oil to the top mark. You will have used 4 quarts for the change in total.

On mine, that's where the level stays more or less until the next change.

·
Registered
301 Posts
It always winds up being 4 quarts for me.

I usually fill it with +/- 3.5 quarts, idle it for a minute, then as the oil runs through the nooks and crannies and makes its way to the cams, the level drops down low in the sightglass.

Once I add that last half quart after doing the above, the oil level is about perfect

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
If you fill up with exactly the amount stated in the book and let it settle for a long time you'll just see a bubble on the top of the window. That's normal.

Note that to check the oil level the handbook (page 64) instructs you to run the engine at idle for 5 minutes, stop, wait at least 3 minutes and then check the level. You'll find it'll then be between the lines.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
If you follow the directions exactly, it IS 4 quarts with filter to the top mark.

Drop old oil when warm. Wait a bit. Fill filter and re-install, add 3 and a bit quarts and run for a few minutes. Wait five minutes for the oil to settle. With the bike vertical, add oil to the top mark. You will have used 4 quarts for the change in total.

On mine, that's where the level stays more or less until the next change.
+1,that's how I do mine, it never seems to use any from one change to the next.

Plasma.

·
Registered
10,946 Posts
Four quarts is always too much for mine. I use 3.7 to 3.8 quarts (3.5 to 3.6 liters) to get it to the middle of the sight glass, including pre-filling the filter. This is after draining on the center stand for at least ten minutes.

No matter the theroetical capacities and statistics, four quarts for me is always an overfill. It's much easier to pour in 3+ quarts and then add as needed than it is to remove overfill.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Four quarts is always too much for mine. I use 3.7 to 3.8 quarts (3.5 to 3.6 liters) to get it to the middle of the sight glass, including pre-filling the filter. This is after draining on the center stand for at least ten minutes.

No matter the theroetical capacities and statistics, four quarts for me is always an overfill. It's much easier to pour in 3+ quarts and then add as needed than it is to remove overfill.
Yes, but the "middle" of the sight glass is not "full" ...."Full" is up to the "Full" line....

·
Registered
10,946 Posts
Yes, but the "middle" of the sight glass is not "full" ...."Full" is up to the "Full" line....
It's as high as I'm willing to fill it and is fine at that level, especially because these bikes consume no oil.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts