Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I took delivery of my ST yesterday. I test drove is last Friday and was sold almost immediately. I've ridden for about 10 years on a Yamaha RoadStar Warrior and wanted a smaller more practical bike that I could commute with. The warrior, albeit a great bike, was too big and too loud and after 10 years I wanted something less showy and more akin to my riding style which is pretty conservative. I've ridden long enough to know that its not about what I'm seen on anymore. It's about my riding experience. I also own a custom 80' Honda CM400T which I love and basically wanted a bike that combined a cruiser mentality with standard practicality, essentially a "modern standard" as they say.

I test drove a Ducati Scrambler FT and a Yami FZ-09 as well. The scrambler was a cool bike but the engine braking bothered me and the bike just felt like it wanted me to be more aggressive with it. Also the seat was terrible and although I liked the styling off the bike, on the bike the drivers perspective made it feel toy-ish as others have said. The FZ had fantastic power but way more than I needed and the engine characteristics were very sportbike like which I wasn't fond of. Interestingly enough, the ergonomics of all threes bike were eerily similar with the ST only having peg placement slightly forward and lower which I favored as well. So at the end of the day, the ST won it for me, the modern-classic styling, adequate power and simply a joy to ride.

Interesting story as I placed the order last Friday not knowing when the bike would come in, I called Atlanta on Wed to see if they could shed some light on how long it would take. They told me that they were completely out of 2016's and the dealers had all they would get until the 2017's were delivered in August. So I immediately called my dealer and told him the story and locked up the Phantom Black which I test rode and decided to forgo the Matte Black that I ordered. No other dealer with 400 miles of me had a Matte Black. Not a big deal. If I want Matte Black badly enough, I'll have it done over the winter.

The only mod I've done is the ceremonial seat strap removal mod lol. I may consider adding risers to lift the handlebars a bit and maybe get a bench seat near-term.

All in all, I'm very happy to join the Triumph family of riders. Just wanted to share my story. Ride safe everyone.

~Steve

·
Registered
498 Posts
thanks for your story Steve and glad you (just) avoided a long wait for your Stwin. I think it looks gorgeous, enjoy your ride.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts