Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I've been thinking bout what i'd do with my "future" thruxton... What kind of custom work i'd do on it... Do you guys have good suggestions?

I'd have to mention at this time, that i don't know much about Bikes "yet", as i'm just starting to learn about'em...

But if its anything like cars, i was thinking about Tires (Larger, fatter) and/or Suspension (more control, firmer for cornering)...

Thoughts?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Hey guys,

I've been thinking bout what i'd do with my "future" thruxton... What kind of custom work i'd do on it... Do you guys have good suggestions?

I'd have to mention at this time, that i don't know much about Bikes "yet", as i'm just starting to learn about'em...

But if its anything like cars, i was thinking about Tires (Larger, fatter) and/or Suspension (more control, firmer for cornering)...

Thoughts?
The fun thing with the Thruxton is there are so many things you can customize - it's difficult to know where to start. The first mod a lot of riders (myself included) do is to remove the airbox (or modify it for more airflow), fit K&N's and a hi-flow exhaust such as Predators (but there are lots of other choices too). With some rejetting (or remapping for an EFI) you should get around an extra 10 bhp (+14%) this'll set you back US$700-900 or so.
There is a wide rear wheel which is around another $800 too. Improving the suspension is something a lot of riders recommend too - I have just ordered new shocks & fork springs/valves myself (And you're going to need this for the potholes in Montreal that's for sure!!:) Having lived there for 8 years I know! In fact maybe you'd be better off with a Scrambler!:D).
There's lots of other performance upgrades like performance cams and cyl head and racing carbs etc but we're talking big money for all these things! I guess it all depends on how deep your pockets are!!
Then there's all the bling and aesthetic improvements you could make but this is purely based on your own tastes. This forum has plenty of great looking bikes and ideas so I'd spend a while searching around various topics and take a look at the photos etc too.
Do you have the bike yet?
Good luck!
Steve

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
8 Years in Montreal eh? Interesting! ;)

Thanks a lot for all the ideas! Like i said, i'm just starting out and its quite confusing, really.

For starters, i'm thinking mostly practical. Suspensions and Tires would definitely fit in that category... I've always found the Thrux' tires rather slim and i'm sure it could benefit from larger rubber... and i'm sure its "stock" suspension can be improved greatly...

Than again, i'm a complete n00b on the subject, as i'm still getting my licenses now... so yeah... baby steps.

The fun thing with the Thruxton is there are so many things you can customize - it's difficult to know where to start. The first mod a lot of riders (myself included) do is to remove the airbox (or modify it for more airflow), fit K&N's and a hi-flow exhaust such as Predators (but there are lots of other choices too). With some rejetting (or remapping for an EFI) you should get around an extra 10 bhp (+14%) this'll set you back US$700-900 or so.
There is a wide rear wheel which is around another $800 too. Improving the suspension is something a lot of riders recommend too - I have just ordered new shocks & fork springs/valves myself (And you're going to need this for the potholes in Montreal that's for sure!!:) Having lived there for 8 years I know! In fact maybe you'd be better off with a Scrambler!:D).
There's lots of other performance upgrades like performance cams and cyl head and racing carbs etc but we're talking big money for all these things! I guess it all depends on how deep your pockets are!!
Then there's all the bling and aesthetic improvements you could make but this is purely based on your own tastes. This forum has plenty of great looking bikes and ideas so I'd spend a while searching around various topics and take a look at the photos etc too.
Do you have the bike yet?
Good luck!
Steve

·
Registered
404 Posts
8 Years in Montreal eh? Interesting! ;)

Thanks a lot for all the ideas! Like i said, i'm just starting out and its quite confusing, really.

For starters, i'm thinking mostly practical. Suspensions and Tires would definitely fit in that category... I've always found the Thrux' tires rather slim and i'm sure it could benefit from larger rubber... and i'm sure its "stock" suspension can be improved greatly...

Than again, i'm a complete n00b on the subject, as i'm still getting my licenses now... so yeah... baby steps.
There was a recent thread about the bigger tires - you should have a look - not all good either. IMHO the tires on the thrux maybe smaller than a crotch rocket but are perfectly adequate.

I'd get plenty of riding in first, get used to the bike & it's handling etc before doing anything & be safe! Especially amongst those crazy Montreal drivers!:D

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the hint on tires, i've read a couple of post' worth on the subject. Quite interesting read :)

You're right tho, i'll get a few hours worth of riding stock before i think about upping.

!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts