Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

First Blood

3K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  DriftlessRider 
#1 ·
Well, I got a battery tender today and took the seat off to pull the battery out and charge it. I always wondered what was under the tank, so I pulled that off. One thing led to another and now the AI is pulled out of there. Not sure I really meant to do that, but there were bolts, I had wrenches, and it seemed to be destiny.

I bought the bike (my first) late last June and the only thing I've really done to it before is to change the oil. So this is my very first venture into "mods" on a Bonnie. I'd rather be riding, but it sure was nice to spend time with my bike again.

My wife thinks I should just leave the bike alone. She also thinks you are all a bad influence on me and I should stop reading these forums. :D

See less See more
#3 ·
Wife & Bike

Hey - the 1st thing was the AI was gone! De snork & thats all I needed. The rest is a lot of $$ for what?? The bike is fast as I want it to be- OH the progressive ft springs ( cheap) are needed. Some new RR shocks - nice too. The rest is to me a lot of $$ for something I dont need ! Maybe if I was 17 again I would think diffdereent?

#4 ·
Hey - the 1st thing was the AI was gone! De snork & thats all I needed. The rest is a lot of $$ for what?? The bike is fast as I want it to be- OH the progressive ft springs ( cheap) are needed. Some new RR shocks - nice too. The rest is to me a lot of $$ for something I dont need ! Maybe if I was 17 again I would think different?
I'm thinking the same way CAPTDON. I'm not sure I need to spend cash on horsepower right now. Another recent thread convinced me to love my airbox instead of spending cash on the way to getting rid of it. I need to do things on the cheap too. Handling is more important than HP for me now, cheap front progressive springs sound about right. My priorities are:

1. Handling - although I'm a new rider and not sure I'll notice a difference. But if progressive springs are cheap that's easy, and playing with lowering the front end is free.
  2. Comfort - a new seat (Corbin?) is high on the list if I run into cash to spend
  3. Sound - my only real complaint about my much-beloved Bonnie is that it is too politely quiet. I don't need an obnoxious roar, but a throaty rumble would be nice. New silencers are expensive, but pulling the baffles is free. That just might be next, I'm not sure.

Also, davidc, I actually trotted downstairs to check on my tank after reading your post. She's safe now!

#9 · (Edited)
My wife thinks I should just leave the bike alone. She also thinks you are all a bad influence on me and I should stop reading these forums. :D
That sounds eerily familiar. I'm trying to convince my better half that the general consensus on here is that painting your Triumph matt black reduces petrol consumption AND increases reliability. Shhh... :cool:

#10 ·
Whys the engine still in, what are the bars still stock, why didnt you remove the chainguard LOL

I also believe in leaving mostly well enough alone, as other have said, removing the AI may make less bluing of the pipes, removing the snorkle may give you more grunt. (more air gets in). Should you buy the TORs and pull the snorkle, I think you may have to re-jet. Some will just make a few more turns of the fuel, opinions vary on this site about jetting/rejetting

Good luck and safe riding

Dave-

#12 ·
I still have a stock bike, yeah, that's it.
Well, I see you've removed the reflectors. I think I'll do that too. :D

Actually I've always liked your bike, it's unique and looks tough.

And back to my wife: I put a harness on her bike's battery for the battery tender since the battery is a pain to get at (she has a Honda Shadow 750). I have been informed that is all I am going to do to her motorcycle. I don't think she trusts me. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.