Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know a solvent for un-heatcured firegum.
Or is abrasives the only option?

·
Registered
601 Posts
Humm,

Never heard of that product before, so I looked up the
Material Safety Data Sheet. Clean up is by dry sand,
vermiculite. I would say this would be in its paste form.
Also the data sheet did not list anything that it reacts with
as this product is really only sodium silicate. I think it is
going to have to see some crocus cloth action to be removed.

Pookybear

·
Premium Member
3,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers pb, although this stuff has not been heat cured, it does get quite hard and is a pain to remove.
I call all of these exhaust seal pastes "fire gum" cos that describes what it does.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Cheers pb, although this stuff has not been heat cured, it does get quite hard and is a pain to remove.
I call all of these exhaust seal pastes "fire gum" cos that describes what it does.
yes, I did learn something last night, "fire gum" seems to be a
term that is used across the pond. I actually looked up the
Holts firegum for the information. Here in the US, we have the
creative name for the same type of product, exhaust patch paste.

I think "fire gum" has a little better ring to it.

Pookybear

·
Registered
6,533 Posts
I read this thread out of curiosity of what fire gum might be. By pure coincidence, I was talking to my cousin who is a full time Saab mechanic and service manager at a local Saab shop. I'm nursing a Durango waiting to buy my company car and the muffler is falling apart on the Durangol. I told him I was going to come over to the shop some night to patch up the muffler to get it thru to the fall. He said we could use muffler cement. I thought he was busting my chops. But he was serious. I did not even know they made a thing called muffler cement. Apparently we can patch up this muffler with the stuff. Should be an interesting process.
regards,
Rob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts