Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
draggin, your piccie link doesn't seem to be working - can you check the url and what not?

Also, I see you resurrected 3 separate threads on ped slicers, I combined them into one.
Thanks prop, that should make the searching easier in the future....
does picasa not support direct linking, maybe?

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
The first slicer I tried back in 2001 was the chrome diecast version. As cool as the chrome band looks, I just couldn't get past that "gapping fish mouth" look of the leading edge. The old bikes have front fenders with a rolled-up lip, and the slicers were designed to match that turn-up. They also come in different radius', so you got to know what you're getting.

The Front Number Plates (my liability insurance guy will not allow me to call it by that slang term :D) I sell are custom made specifically for me and is designed to match the new gen. Bonneville fender and is notched in the correct location to match the fender stay. Yes, I have a slightly shorter, un-notched version for the Thruxton & Scrambler.

They're cold-rolled steel and powdercoated the proper shade of satin black. The mounting clips are the premium quality nickel plated ones, not the el-cheapo tin ones commonly found on eBay.

For lettering, 2" high works perfectly. Consider taking your plate into a professional sign shop where they can scan the plate and cut the lettering perfectly spaced and arched.

/Mike

·
Registered
13 Posts
The first slicer I tried back in 2001 was the chrome diecast version. As cool as the chrome band looks, I just couldn't get past that "gapping fish mouth" look of the leading edge. The old bikes have front fenders with a rolled-up lip, and the slicers were designed to match that turn-up. They also come in different radius', so you got to know what you're getting.

/Mike
I have to agree with Mike here, the cast one is not a bolt on, I probably have 150 bucks in materal in it, and 40-50 hours of sanding, grinding J-B welding, painting and cursing into it. Being here in michigan I was just looking for a way to do something bike related without freezing my tail off.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ped Slicer Secrets Revealed

First use a bodyman's contour finder to get the fender curve and brace location correct.....

Then transfer the curve to some cardboard template material.....

Then transfer the curve from the template to the slicer, note that if you follow the curve, the front and back of the alloy peice are out in the air. The vintage fenders had a much larger radius. So you can either raise the line up, and machine the alloy part thinner, or add to it so that it matches the curve. Since i didnt care about keeping the chome intact, I added material to the front and back to match the fender.

Wish I had taken more pics of the fabrication, or maybe I want to keep a few secrets..... End Result:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Pedestrian Slicer of a Scrambler?

Good evening, all! First post for me, so bear with me if I'm repeating a question here. I tried the search engine, but found nothing, so here goes:

Has anyone had any experience mounting a pedestrian slicer on a Scrambler? I read in one thread about the vibration that they can cause, and since my Scrambler fender doesn't have the bracing rod on the front, I thought that might be a bigger problem for me.

I figured that was a great place to mount my Department of Defense sticker, but before I go drilling holes in the fender I figured I'd better find out if I'd be happy with the results!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I was given one of the thin ones as a gift some time ago, and would like to get it lettered and mounted as well on my Scrambler.

I am also concerned about the vibration/durability on the plastic fender over time. Any feedback would be appreciated.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts