Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally finished and ready to put on the bike this weekend. More pics to come but for now here's the finished plate itself...

D.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Looks great! I did mine awhile back. Be careful when drilling the holes. you only get one shot! New metal drill bits are my reccomendation. Use masking tape over the top of the fender to measure and mark your drilling holes. after you measure it all go take a break and measure it again....then have your buddy check your measurements..............Onlly then, if all matches up, begin your first drill hole........

Where did you buy it????

What type of letters did you use and where did you get them??????? JD.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got the plate at british only. It was primed so I had to make the cutout for the fender support, sand it down and paint it with a nice hard epoxy. Afterwards I baked it in the oven at 275 for about 30 min to cure the epoxy.

A friend of mine is a sign painter and I took it to him for the lettering - it's a bit hard to tell from the photo but I had him put a bevel on the outside of the letters to give them a raised appearance - he had the letters printed out digitally on UV protected sign vinyl and then put a coat of clear UV sealer over the whole thing to further prevent any fading. He did it for free but said it would only cost about $30.

I've also carved out a couple of rubber gaskets by hand from 1/4" black rubber stock for where the two chrome feet will mount to the fender - the front has a slightly upturned lip and the gasket will both fill and hide the gap since the edges will wrap around the whole foot like a cup.

I plan to do exactly what you said to mount it. I'll cover the fender in blue painters tape, (measure 16 times :wink: ) then mark my mounting holes. Once I do that I plan on hitting each mark precisely with a center punch to make a slight starter dimple so the bit doesnt dance. I bought a couple of new carbide metal bits with special starter points. One small bit to start the hole and one larger bit to open up the hole the rest of the way.

Once marked and punched I'll remove the fender entirely and drill it to make sure I dont pop a hole in the tire and also for ease of installation.

Once bolted on (with a crush washer & loc-tite) I plan on gooping up the 2 bolts/nuts underneath (the tire side) with some black seam sealer to keep the rust away.

This project seems simple at first but to really do it right takes some labor, thinking, patience and more money than one might think. Once it's on I'l post another pic here of the completed look. Wish me luck! :)

[ This message was edited by: derek985 on 2005-08-08 22:56 ]

·
Registered
277 Posts
Those letters look awesome. Very nice job. Good luck with the measuring and drilling. Measuring 16 times ought to do it.

Cheers,

Allan

·
Registered
35 Posts
On 2005-08-08 22:44, derek985 wrote:
....then mark my mounting holes. Once I do that I plan on hitting each mark precisely with a center punch to make a slight starter dimple so the bit doesnt dance. I bought a couple of new carbide metal bits with special starter points. One small bit to start the hole and one larger bit to open up the hole the rest of the way.

Derek, after marking with a center punch it should only be necessary to drill with the larger bit as it is equipped with a starter point. Aren't you afraid the larger bit will wander in the smaller hole from the first bit and mess up the hole ? Best of luck with your project.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well folks, despite my best efforts to be very careful, my front fender is now ruined. And not because I didnt measure or drill properly, its because the plate radius does not match the fender radius - the fender is a much tighter radius which makes the plate touch in the middle while both ends sit in the air.

How the hell is it that others have used the same plate on the same bike and the radius matches up? I have a terrible knot in my stomach and two nice holes in my otherwise perfect fender. Great.

Waste of time, waste of money, and awful results. For others contemplating this mod - don't use the plate from british-only.

D.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Derek,

Sorry to hear about the outcome.

I seem to recall that Panthermark installed a slicer. But I don't know if it was from the same source as your slicer. His radius did not match up either. He grinded down part of the slicer to make it fit. Again the radius could have been different and closer to the fender.

Hope it is not too late and this helps.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks bosox, I considered grinding it down but really didn't want to ruin the paint job.

I am happy to report that I successfully mounted it with some creativity...

I finally massaged it by (gulp) bending the fender out a little bit to more closely fit the radius. I also added a bit more thickness to the gaskets which probably helped even more signifcantly.

The fact that the plate is black and my fender is black is probably what helped save the look of it. If the pain colors were contrasting the average person would probably notice the slight gaps at the front and rear. That being said, I'm a perfectionist so it would probably only bother me.

I'm actually very pleased now with the outcome despite the panic attack I had earlier. Here's a finished pic (camera/flash makes the black look different - in real life it's a spot on match to the fender)...

·
Registered
273 Posts
I really like the look of the "slicer" with the chrome edge..but that said I'm trying to stay away from as much chrome as possible. I have the flat plate from Bellacorse and it suits me just fine...plus it fits the fender without any grinding. Mark has a photo of it..I have not figured out how to post the photo's as yet..I'm just glad there are choices out there for us to make.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Wuz over at the Barber (I live about 8 miles away) looking around the other day and noticed the best looking 1959 Bonneville I have ever seen sitting there in all its orange and white glory. It had an ( I think) aluminum bracketed, really beautiful streamlined slicer plate on it -where can I get one lke that?? The ones I have seen for sale are nothing but cheap L-brackets and a piece of tin. Gotta be something out there prettier than that for my creamsicle. Who knows? Sure would like to find one that was made for the new T100 series bikes

1 - 20 of 48 Posts