Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys whats up. I just joined this site the other day because I am looking to get a speed triple and i figured someone here would have some good advice. I am set on the bike 100%. I think the looks of the bike are simply bad ass. At this point im looking for an '04. I prefer the all black look (black frame). I believe that means i want an SE??? Can you give me any tips/pointers of places to search other then ebay and auto trader? Does anyone loacal to DC know of a a good spot?

Are there certain points that you would recommend checking when buying a used S3? How many miles are too many?
Are maintenance records are crucial to these bikes as they are to ducati's?

Any advice is appreciated... for now im just jealous of all of you with the bike... my last ride was about 2 years ago ('03 Honda CBR 600RR)

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Good choice my friend. Don't discount an 05+ model. More gins per mile, guaranteed.

Not that an 04 isn't almost as good. :-D Not everybody likes the chopped rear end look.

My advice: Keep your records and find a good dealer. Perhaps some of the fine fellows in here with experience in the DC area can help you there. These bikes are way easier to maintain than a Ducati. And far cheaper. Mechanically they are nearly indestructible.

The only real trouble area I've heard of are clutch cables and sometimes corrosion on some of the bolts. Aside from crash damage and signs of abuse, of course. Oh, and occasionally these have been know to eat radiator fans. Check for a noisy fan motor.

This is a world of difference from a CBR 600 of any pedigree. No comparison can be made. Have fun looking, and more fun riding!

·
Registered
700 Posts
05+ pish posh!
The 955i is the only way to go. Those guys with 1050s are just trying to get you to jump with them and the rest of the North Koreans.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hahahahah the 955 huh.. i dont mind the chopped end, but I prefer the look and price of an 04 SE. I have seen some really mean lookin 05's and newer though. My CBR was very uncomfortable to ride...anything over 1-2 hours riding and forget about it...wrists, back, and ass all hurt. I want something more comfortable and upright. Im trying to get it before I move to San Diego in April.. i have the itch again and I NEED A BIKE... what about mileage....what do you guys think too many miles are to buy a used bike with?

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I'd worry more about how it was taken care of than milage. The old 885 T300 bikes actually made the best horsepower after at least 40,000 miles!!! For a 955i or 1050 bike anything under 10,000 miles is certainly okay.

Incidentally, there is no such thing as an "SE" model. A Speed Triple is a Speed Triple. They change from year to year, but within each model year they are all the same except the blue ones are faster. :cool:

Wikipedia: Speed Triple

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
On 2006-12-21 21:14, crashmasterd wrote:
Incidentally, there is no such thing as an "SE" model. A Speed Triple is a Speed Triple. They change from year to year, but within each model year they are all the same except the blue ones are faster. :cool:
Wikipedia: Speed Triple
Correction: The newbie is correct, there was an SE model. In '04 they offered some black S3's with the black frame (which was the SE...Special Edition). It was the precursor to the 05+ black framed S3's. All the other models except the SE had the silver frames prior to 05.

Jeez, who wrote that Wikipedia thing anyway??? :razz:

Good luck finding one. Not to dampen your spirits, but since they were only offered in limited quantities for one year I think it may take you a while.

Capt.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
On 2006-12-21 22:09, Captain_Rat wrote:
Correction: The newbie is correct, there was an SE model. In '04 they offered some black S3's with the black frame (which was the SE...Special Edition). It was the precursor to the 05+ black framed S3's. All the other models except the SE had the silver frames prior to 05.

Jeez, who wrote that Wikipedia thing anyway??? :razz:

Good luck finding one. Not to dampen your spirits, but since they were only offered in limited quantities for one year I think it may take you a while.

Capt.
Could you link me to any information on that? I've never heard of such a thing. With proper information I'll change that Wiki. Whoever wrote it must be a real wanker!

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
SunriseKid,

Welcome and Good hunting!

I started by calling dealerships within a 300 mile radius and asking that they give me a call when a Speedy came in. In Salt Lake City a salesman did just that. He emailed me a pic, I sent a $500 refundable deposit. Drove north to check out the bike and bought my S3 the same day. Haven't regretted it since.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
***** good idea Catenaccio... i am gonna do just that...im wondering how much trouble im gonna have with the SE... that is really the look i want... i think the black frame really makes it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I won't get involved with the 955 is better then the 1050, but I can tell you......Either way, there great bike's.
Merry Christmas and good luck. :-D

·
Registered
456 Posts
On 2006-12-22 00:42, SunriseKid wrote:
***** good idea Catenaccio... i am gonna do just that...im wondering how much trouble im gonna have with the SE... that is really the look i want... i think the black frame really makes it.
You shouldn't have any trouble with it. I have had an 01 and now my 06.

The 955 is a great engine, and the 955 triple is a reliable package There was a guy that posted yesterday that he had 65k miles on a 99.

As with any bike make sure it has been taken care of and maintained properly.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I don't think the SE (black frame) was a precussor to the 05 1050s, but more like Triumph slowly changing their productions to prepare for the 1050. I don't know if you noticed it either, but when ever Triumph is going to change one of their models they come out with a "special edition" to use up their left over parts i. e. the 99' Daytona 1200 Special Edition.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts