Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all. just thought i would tell all of you i am excited to order my norman hyde M bars and Napoleon bar ends in chrome! I ordered them from British Customs. can't say enough of their service and from sean there. he answered every question i had and told me he would make sure it went out tonight even. while we were talking, he already had it packed and was affixing the shipping sticker! wow! i may get it by the weekend! i thought this was pretty cool in a world where customer service is usually anything but. now, can anyone post a link to the handlebar installation instructions. i know i seen them at one time somewhere. thanks, keith

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
You will like that bar and the mirrors.
A few things with the change - cover the tank!!! You'll be all sorts of bummed out if you scratch or dent the tank.
The easiest way to do this is to remove the clamp on the clutch side, remove screw that hlods switch assembly together, and let that assembly hang down. Pinch the grip a bit on the inboard side [this opens it a bit] and shoot some air in there if you have a small pump - or a spritz of WD40 - and slide off grip.
Take clamp off throttle side - leave it until you remove the 4 bolts holding bar to clamp [pry out the bolt caps with a small driver if they're still there], lift bar out of clamp and slide it out of the throttle side. Reverse the procedure with new bar.
Air, I have found, is the easiest way to get the left grip off - man, that thing will flop and slide right off. Best way to replace it as well.
Good luck.

[Of course remove end caps - easier with mirrors off as well]

·
Premium Member
4,024 Posts
I always see guys recommending wd40 for removal of grips...STOP!
you have to clean that out! Use Hairspray..it's slippery when wet and dries sticky.I've used that on my MtnBikes and motorcycle grips for years.

·
Registered
980 Posts
you have to clean that out! Use Hairspray..it's slippery when wet and dries sticky.I've used that on my MtnBikes and motorcycle grips for years.

I just wiped mine out..that WD 40 didn't hurt anything and my grips are stuck on real well.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I'm bald, never have the stuff around. :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
I used a small Allen key and pushed it into the grip at the bar end, then twisted the grip, was a little bit of twisting but came off fairly easy. hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Done this many times.
Remove centre clamp bolts - freeing up the bar with controls.
Remove throttle assembly by loosening retaining bolts.
Boil kettle - yes boil kettle.
Have bike on side stand, and parked on the street.
Pour boiling or very recently boiled water over the clutch side rubber.
Keep pouring.
Keep pouring - allowing hot water to run onto the ground.
Dry rubber grip but quickly pull it off.
It should slide off no bother (rubber expands under heat)
Remove clutch assembly.
Remove bar.
Slide throttle and clutch kit onto M bar, tighten.
Clamp M bar at centre clamp, rotating it to suit your preferred angle.
Push clutch side rubber back on - might need a good push.
Tighten all up.
You will NOT need WD 40, hairspray or any other third party rubbish.
The clutch and throttle cables do NOT need adjustment.
Sit on bike.
Start.
Ride.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts