Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
I installed the Viking bags last night and this morning. Installation of the left side was a bear because, per the instructions, I drilled the right side first and then transferred the holes to the left side so they would be symmetrical. Problem was that the catch for the lock is the same L-bracket on both sides, flipped around. So while it was cleared on the right, I ended up drilling a hole right next to the bracket on the left. Long story short, grinding and fabricating a workaround was involved.

That being said, the bags are very nice and look terrific on the bike!

Looks great. Love that colour, you have good taste.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #63

·
Registered
10 Posts
That's a pretty bike, the cherry red & chrome goes really well together.

Wish those rims would fit my LT, I cry at the thought of spoke cleaning time :SadSigh

:BritishFlag

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hi folks, Am really about to pull the trigger on a 2015 Storm with only 6k on it. Want to soften up the rear shocks/spring. I like these Viking bags from what I see. How hard is it to adjust spring preload between light and fully loaded? Hope this doesn't seem a dumb question. My Sprint was not too bad. Looking to join you cruisers. Miss the lady not riding with me anymore. 800 too hard for her to climb on to. almost bought a Tbird back then. Storm looking good to me, doing research on accessory cost to make right for me. Thanks in advance.

Needless to say she was not a fan of riding on the Sprint more than 25 minutes!

·
Registered
876 Posts
It's not hard to adjust preloads but you need a tool that should come with the bike. Easier to do with the back wheel off the ground but it's not imperative. Not something you would normally do "on the fly". More of a "set & forget" thing.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
The little preload wrench that comes with the bike makes the job harder than it should be. I change my preload occasionally, depending on if I am riding solo or fully loaded with a passenger, full saddle bags and sissy bar bag. I bought a much better wrench that has a long handle so I can get some leverage. Super easy and no need to raise the rear wheel.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I appreciate the feedback, just wanted to be clear, you can adjust with the bags on? Or am I missing something like the bags go on and off as easy as Givi gear? Really getting stoked, pretty sure we are gonna do it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Preload with shock cutout bags on?

I appreciate the feedback, just wanted to be clear, you can adjust with the bags on, the shock cutout style? Or am I missing something like the bags go on and off as easy as Givi gear? Really getting stoked, pretty sure we are gonna do it.

·
Registered
876 Posts
On my LT the bags come off for easy access to the preload. They have 2 bolts each that come off pretty easy. I just find it easier to set & forget rather than stress about what the preload should be. Because I'm often 2-up I use the hardest setting (5) and leave it there.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Thanks

Appreciate it. Been getting ready to move after 18 years here. Downsize and saving for retirement so not online much. The Viking bags were a bit of challenge to install. Will post pics when I get a better one, but pretty happy. I thought about the quick detach, but did not want them that wide and preferred the sleeker close fit look. I am usually solo. Any major ride I can remove or relax mount enough to make adjustments for extra gear. I like the Nitro shocks. Will review more later but very nice improvement over stock shocks and springs. Wet season is here and now slippery leaves on road so waiting till leafy mush disappears, then adding more miles. Cheers

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've got viking soft bags on my '12 ABS but regret it. The leather along the edge is cupping and looks like crap - at least up close. The company rep I talked to was a jerk about it and tried to blame me for it.

Attachments

·
Registered
320 Posts
I've got viking soft bags on my '12 ABS but regret it. The leather along the edge is cupping and looks like crap - at least up close. The company rep I talked to was a jerk about it and tried to blame me for it.
I had their bags on mine when I got it. I put different ones on her.

JJ

Attachments

61 - 80 of 84 Posts