Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After over 2 years and 50,000 km`s of hard riding, thousands of wheelies stopies and burnouts etc, speedy said "No More!" and shat itself. Looks like the big end went on the middle pot. It developed a rattle under load whilst out on a group RAT ride, which disappeared when in neutral. Being the real clever bloke that I am, I decided a sensible option was to try and ride it the 40 km home. Dohhhh!

It would only bump start when I left the ride to head home and then cut out completely during a downchange heading up a steep hill.

After pulling the motor down, the middle piston had been hitting the valves, the piston and valves had both copped a right royal pasting. Ouch!

The bike is one month out of warranty. I`m not posting this to have a moan about Triumph or their reliabilty or anything else. I have had more fun on this bike in the last 25 months than I have had on any other bike in the last 25 years. Triumph will probably help out with the warranty repairs, if they don`t I`ll get another motor from a wrecker and just continue to have lots of fun.

Failing that, YES I`ll buy another new one. They are a bloody top bike. :)

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Triumph over here in the US from what I have seen has covered bikes out of warranty and since your only a month out, my guess is they will take care of you. If not, I would have it fixed anyway and keep it.
Sounds like you rode the piss out of the ole girl, but the failure might have been more due to bad luck.

I have a dumb question? Where is the gold coast?

·
Premium Member
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where is the gold coast?
It`s in QLD, Australia. It`s a bit like like Las vegas, in Aus.

Yes, The old girl had a right hiding but if you look at where the oil pick-up is, wheelying should not have produced any oil starvation issues and riding very fast around corners should not have caused any either. I have always warmed the motor up before giving it a pasting and have only run the best quality oils. It has been dealer serviced from day 1 and if it needed anything, it got it.

·
Banned
557 Posts
Well that just sux ass! Man I'm sorry to hear that...I thought these bikes could last 100,000 miles....I beat the piss out of my 2007 S3 and it had 23,000 miles and purred like a kitten.....then I wrecked it.

I'm glad you're gonna rebuild and keep it going!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Sounds like you haven't shimmed your valves... That's the only reason I can think of why you would have had that problem. Did you do your valves and if so, did you do them yourself or have Triumph do them?

·
Registered
158 Posts
If the rod bearing went out it would let the piston go up further and could contact the valves. I don't think this is entirely bad luck, I have heard of the #2 rod bearing going out on other S3's too. One of them was my friend, his bike only had 4500 miles. Not sure if there is an issue or not, as there are a lot of Speedys out there with no problems whatsoever. Hoping mine holds up, its too much fun to do without.

·
Premium Member
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It`s had 2 major services, 20,000 and 40,000 km`s, valves have ALWAYS been with tolerance, never needed shimming. Like I said, I`ve always had it serviced at the main dealer. Whilst I`m more than capable of doing it myself, I work long hours so it`s just easier to drop it in to the dealership. They have excellent mechanics and I trust their work.

Whilst I have ridden it fairly hard, it`s more likely to be a faulty component, than abuse, that has caused the problem. I did twice as many K`s on my sprint and also pulled lots of wheelies and rode it hard. It was still runnning like a watch when I sold it.

I`ve seen a Rocket 3 go bang with low k`s because it had undersized pistons fitted at the factory. I should know soon, exactly what the problem is. 90% likely to be a big end but I havent ruled out a small end either.

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
The good thing from all of this is you can reinvent yourself and/or the bike and have an entirely new riding paradigm. Sounds like fun to me! :D

·
Premium Member
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here`s a birds eye view of the middle piston...

For those who aren`t mechanically minded, the shiny bits aren`t supposed to be there! It`s where the piston has been clobbering the valves (or the head, still trying to work that out) and I`ll post more pics later.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Mine has 17k and it runs like the day I bought it new 8 months ago.
I wonder what happened if you maintained the valves? Timing issue? Did you mess with the ECU mapping with Tune Boy? If so, I don't think they will warranty that.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Yeah.... had that happen on a GSXR. Piston was tapping the head. Valves might be ok, but you wont know until you pull em and inspect. Good luck on the crank, I had to replace mine.

But probably not a bad parts list, valves, piston, rings, con-rod, crank, bearings. $500 and she will be good as new.

Im pretty sure on this triple that the center con-rod is the furthest from the oil supply to the crankshaft. Your oil might have been thin (gas diluted) or a piece of debri made it all the way up there. If you post pictures of the bearings, I could give you a better idea of what caused it.

Probably not a defect, as it lasted a long time. (But dont tell the dealership that.)

·
Premium Member
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It was running TORS cans with a TORS tune, I`ve never bothered getting a tuneboy, to be honest, I`ve never felt the need. Won`t make the bike corner any quicker or pull longer wheelies. I`ve owned 2 1050 S3`s both had a set of $500 TORS with the dealer tune downloaded, that`s fast enough for me. Rather put the money towards decent rubber.

the noise started as a very minor rattle under load, couldn`t hear it at all in neutral. Then it got real bad, real quick. The engine is very hard to turn over, with the head off, so it is unlikely to be a valve issue. It`s a 90% certainty that it`s a big end.

My Daytona 675 is also off the road with a blown forkseal and and a faulty air sensor, so I am bikeless at the moment.

:(

Should have the Daytona sorted by monday, though.
The Speedy, I think, is going to take a little longer! :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
As a PS, if you drink lots of alchohol and look carefuly at the top of the piston in the pic, it looks like something very rude.

:eek:

Or maybe I`ve just been hanging with the wrong sort of women...;)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Rob

Dude that piston never touched a valve. it was hammering the head. The valves are in the relief spaces in the piston not on the edges. more than likely the rod bearing at the crank. Did you have a low idle knock at all? that would pin point it if you did. Hopefully it did not damage the head but that is the softer of the two, and your crank is probably rather thrashed now. I wish you luck with the repairs and I believe that Triumph will sort it out for you, they are good about that.

Pain in the a$$ though sorry about your luck.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Rob, sorry to hear of the shatting Speedy. Just a quick question, did your bike use any oil at all? Good luck getting yer bike(s) back on the road. :)

·
Premium Member
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Dude that piston never touched a valve. it was hammering the head. The valves are in the relief spaces in the piston not on the edges. more than likely the rod bearing at the crank. Did you have a low idle knock at all? that would pin point it if you did. Hopefully it did not damage the head but that is the softer of the two, and your crank is probably rather thrashed now. I wish you luck with the repairs and I believe that Triumph will sort it out for you, they are good about that.

Pain in the a$$ though sorry about your luck.

Good advice, thanks, really appreciate it. There was no knock whatsoever and when it started, it was under load, in gear. HOWEVER....

INTERESTINGLY, I had had some intermittent boiling issues with it recently, I was suspicious of a head gasket but the oil was clean and so was the coolant. I put engine ice in it and a new rad cap. which seemed to solve the problem. I am Wondering, (as has been mentioned earlier) if the oil had been contaminated by petrol???

·
Registered
151 Posts
^^^^ What happened on my GSXR was that one plug was intermittently fouling, due to being too rich. (Previous owner screwed up the carb needles) Over time, the gas built up in the oil and eventually the con-rod bearing ate the big time because of lack of lubrication. (Oil viscosity went to hell) This happened in 1300 miles after the last oil change. The head was salvageable.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts