Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After waiting and waiting for a set of Kineo wheels that I had to cancelled after 12 weeks as they where not even started. Got my new alpina’s within 30 days! They are beautiful... the transformation of the ST continue...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
682 Posts
They look great! I would be very interested to know the weight difference between those and the stock alloy wheels. Perhaps you would be kind enough to weigh both and let us know?

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Are these direct stock replacements or did you go with different widths?

If you went all stock widths, can you share the details specs on the order? I find it confusing when I go to configure them because I can't remember what the specs on the stock wheels are!! I know... the mind is the first thing to go...

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Forged or spoke tubeless wheels is the only mod pending that I want to do to mine... very happy with everything else. Well... I am happy with the stock wheels, I just want the peace of mind of a tubeless setup...

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Are these direct stock replacements or did you go with different widths?

If you went all stock widths, can you share the details specs on the order? I find it confusing when I go to configure them because I can't remember what the specs on the stock wheels are!! I know... the mind is the first thing to go...
I posted a link and some specs in the Thruxton R Forged Wheels thread, so I don’t hijack this thread too badly... It’s got a link for you, right to the Aplina Thruxton R page, along with where I listed the OEM Thruxton R wheel dimensions for you. Cheers

LINK - Post #40 I believe:
http://www.triumphrat.net/water-cooled-twins-technical-talk/766114-forged-wheels-for-thruxton-r-4.html#post2003393913

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They look great! I would be very interested to know the weight difference between those and the stock alloy wheels. Perhaps you would be kind enough to weigh both and let us know?

They are actually about 3 lbs heavier then stock cast wheels.

I was using Triumph spoke wheels and they are obviously lighter and tubeless.

The reason why I changed is because I am going twin front disc brakes on my ST so I needed a wheel that could accommodate them. I’ve also went with floating discs to shave a few more lbs!

It should be a nice setup when completed in a week or so :)

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
They are actually about 3 lbs heavier then stock cast wheels.
Just clarifying, you gained rotational weight with this mod? :surprise: Independent of increased brake weight?

Really makes me wonder what the difference in weight is between Alpinas and stock Thruxton R wheels? I'm confident sealing the stockers but many aren't and I'm too cheap to buy wheels for a bike that already has beautiful wheels.

Look forward to seeing your pics!:smile2:

·
Registered
682 Posts
@JohnnyF10, Thanks. Is that 3lbs per wheel? Or per pair? The cast wheels from the Street Twin saved me a whopping 14 lbs (total) over the OE spokes on a T100. The Alpina wheels are a good weight saving over the stock, chromed steel rims.
@steve betts, I would imagine that the Alpina wheels will weigh about the same as the stock Thruxton R ones. Not going to be much/any weight savings to be had there. Sealing the stock rims would be my route, too.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@Simon64ds it’s 3 lbs per wheel. The new Alipina front is 11.9lbs and the rear is 14.9lbs. I didn’t have a chance to weight the stock cast wheels but I believe they are 9 and 12.2 lbs respectively. I was using the steel spoke wheels from the T100 so I suspect with the second disc I will be at the same weight with the use of the floating discs brake.

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
(JohnnyF10) You started out with the Street Twin factory cast wheels. Changed to a set of factory spoke wheels from a T100 and now are getting ready to install your new set of Alpinas spoked rims?
Tom

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
(JohnnyF10) You started out with the Street Twin factory cast wheels. Changed to a set of factory spoke wheels from a T100 and now are getting ready to install your new set of Alpinas spoked rims?

Tom

Yes, the cast where take off, when I bought the bike, I didn’t want the cast wheels but rather the spoke wheels so I have a brand new of cast wheel in my garage.

Since I now want to install a dual disc brake, I could buy just a front spoke wheel from a T120 but they are quite heavy so I decided to go with a set of Alpina.

Beside the engine, there is not much more stock items on my bike!

1 - 20 of 64 Posts