Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yup, gents, I'm in the club. :chug: Finally got an opening in an MSF class, got my cert & now I'm a very happy Thruxton rider.

Now, for my first question: Does Blue-Away (or any like product) really remove the bluing, and if so, will it stay away? I've read about the AI removal and am considering it, but even if I do that I'll still need a way to remove the current bluing.

Thx, and I'm really happy to be here. :-D

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Welcome! AI removal is the one singe essential mod. You will still have blueing - many threads on this in this forum. Bottom line: 1)- Live with it, 2) Pleanty of polishing, 3) Ceramic coating, 4) Double walled headers. IMHO - live with it but remove the SAIS ASAP!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Embrace the blue! Bike that are ridden have blued pipes!

Unless you have them ceramic coated, like mine.

If you are going to keep them stock, they look better blued. Only cruisers run chrome covers.

IMHO.
Steve

[ This message was edited by: Caffeinated on 2006-11-22 10:55 ]

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Here ya go, there was 380 miles on the pipes while the air
injection was still in..... they were QUITE blued.

I took the headers off, cleaned the interior of them as best I
could with various solvents, then coated them
with "Kreem", a cement meant to minimize bluing in BRAND
NEW unused pipes.

With the air injection removed, and "Blue Job" used to
remove as much of the bluing as I could (it's work.....),
I have since put 300 miles on the pipes since returning
them to the bike.

Does this help?

[ This message was edited by: FattRat on 2006-11-22 12:11 ]

·
Registered
276 Posts
Congrats on the new bike, and great color. I wasn't too thrilled with the yellow at first, but it's really grown on me and it's very distinctive.

Remove the AI and the bluing will reverse itself a bit over time. I rode 1800 miles all stock and the pipes turned so blue they were mirror-black at the head and tapered to gold just below the cross-over tube. After deleting the AI, with just normal polishing as part of cleaning, I've got a deep blue hue at the head that runs 8 or so inches down the pipe. I suppose if I worked at it I could get almost all of the blue polished out.

Blue pipes looks fine and show the bike is loved because its being ridden :-D

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
On 2006-11-22 12:27, McQueen wrote:
Congrats on the new ride...

I'm right up Hwy 101 from ya.

Add my vote for "embracing the blue."
Yes, I've noticed your location during my wait for a password. Perhaps a south-bay gtg some time? I'll even invite my 675 riding buddy.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
On 2006-11-22 09:36, oregonthruxton wrote:
On 2006-11-22 02:39, Thrux-ton-up wrote:
Congrats on the new ride. Keep in mind all proper Triumphs have blue pipes. :cool: JCW
Uh, excuse me, but my proper Triumph has black pipes. :-D What's a PW?
I love the ceramic coated pipes on black bikes, but am unsure about the look on my speed yellow.

PW = password. Took almost 2 weeks to get it from date of registration!

[ This message was edited by: TroyH on 2006-11-22 22:29 ]

·
Registered
274 Posts
Sweat - Yes, Kate was riding before I met her. It's cool to have someone who understand the need to ride.

Troy - I made my own fender eliminator. I got a square piece of aluminum flashing, a metal bracket used for framing 2x4s from Home Depot and a taillight from BikeBandit. I cut down the flashing to fit and used the stock mounting bolts to fit it where the fender was. The bracket I cut down and mounted the new taillight and new turn signals on it. I used a Dremel for the cutting.

I bought the bike used with 1400 miles on it. The original owner must have had money, he did the headers and Predators, air box elimination and had it dynoed and rejetted. He also put the matching windscreen on (for sale) the big tank badges and knee pads. Then he traded it in. Go figure.

All I've done are cosmetic changes: painted the front fender black, cut down the side covers so you can see the air filters better and painted them black, moved the clip-ons above the top clamp, mirrors, football grips and fork gaiters. I also changed the headlight bracket and moved the ingition switch, but that was just to facilitate moving the clip-ons.

Future plans include cartridge emulators for the forks, rear shocks and I want to drill the sprocker cover to match the heel guard.

[ This message was edited by: Caffeinated on 2006-11-23 10:18 ]

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
On 2006-11-23 10:16, Caffeinated wrote:

Troy - I made my own fender eliminator. I got a square piece of aluminum flashing, a metal bracket used for framing 2x4s from Home Depot and a taillight from BikeBandit. I cut down the flashing to fit and used the stock mounting bolts to fit it where the fender was. The bracket I cut down and mounted the new taillight and new turn signals on it. I used a Dremel for the cutting.
Thx! Can you post pics of the clip-ons? I'd like to see how you mounted them. Also, how'd you prep the fender? Did you use plastic-specific paint, I assume?

·
Registered
959 Posts
On 2006-11-22 23:40, Caffeinated wrote:
On 2006-11-22 22:27, TroyH wrote:

I love the ceramic coated pipes on black bikes, but am unsure about the look on my speed yellow.
Like this, with Predator mufflers: (ignore the black bike)

Is there another bike in the picture? Oh, you mean that ugly duckling with the very fugly exhaust (mufflium silentium).

Steve, Gears and all things mechanical

:yayyy: :chug: :yayyy: :lgh:

PS: Duel everything

·
Registered
274 Posts
On 2006-11-23 11:56, TroyH wrote:
Thx! Can you post pics of the clip-ons? I'd like to see how you mounted them. Also, how'd you prep the fender? Did you use plastic-specific paint, I assume?
Sure, here you go.

I slid the fork tubes down and out and moved the clip-ons above the top clamp. This is a good time to do the gaiters if you are so inclined. It's easiest to take the front tire off completely. The fork tubes will have to be higher in the clamps to attach the clip-ons. This means the front end will be a little lower, and the steering geometry is affected. I get some front end wobble, but I don't know if it's caused by this change, and I've never really had any problems. Just be aware before you do it that making this change could affect your handling.

Like I said before, I had to change my headlight bracket when I moved the clip-ons. You can put a rubber or plastic spacer in there to take the space left by the clip-ons too. Other people have, I just didn't like it. And I had to move the ignition when I changed the headlight brackets. One thing leads to another.

I just used regular Krylon spray paint for the fender. I'm cheap. I wasn't willing to spend a lot to paint a piece of plastic that could flex and crack. This way I can redo it whenever I want.

Look through the picture threads and personal albums of the people on this forum before you decide to do anything. There are many aftermarket options for clip-ons, handlebars, paint, mirrors, grips, seats, etc and someone here has tried them all. I've never seen anyone here refuse to share tips and ideas, so don't hesitate to ask. And don't forget to post your pics when you're done.

Have a good time.
Steve

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
On 2006-11-22 22:25, TroyH wrote:
Yes, I've noticed your location during my wait for a password. Perhaps a south-bay gtg some time? I'll even invite my 675 riding buddy.
Sounds good. I usually ride with a couple friends out of SF...both on new Bonnies. Next time we head out, I'll send ya a PM.

cheers,
paul

1 - 20 of 20 Posts