Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got the Thunderbird out for a decent ride. I took her out and put 50 miles on her today. Wow what a blast to ride! I'm a new rider so I was taking my time through the curves. I was for sure not carving any of them up, lol. I could tell the bike wanted to but I didn't have the stones to do it quite yet. I'm very impressed with the bike and such fun to ride. I can't wait to take a longer ride up toward the mountains.
After I had the carbs cleaned and sync'ed she runs like a champ. I also found out that it has Staintune exhausts on it. That's something the seller didn't tell me so that was a nice surprise. So considering it has 7,400 miles a backrest and windshield and aftermarket exhaust, I'm beginning to think the $3,500 I paid for it was a steal! A couple of photos for you guys.

Mutt

·
Registered
629 Posts
When i bought my legend, the salesman thought that it had predators on, but they were indeed staintunes! Those pipes cost $1200 for the pair, so that was a nice surprise! They sound SOOOOOo good too. I like having a triumph that sounds a bit different from the rest. I was originally going to buy a 2001 thunderbird, but it had rust in the tank, and stock pipes. I looked over and saw the green beauty (now black) that I eventually bought. Plus my legend was only $3000, and the thunderbird was $4000.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Don't remember from your original post whether the tires have been replaced, but if original, they are now around 8-9 years old. They would still have plenty of tread, and may not even show any sidewall cracks, but they are no where nearly as sticky as the were 8 years ago so don't go pushing it in the curves until you replace them. The rule of thumb is toss 'em 7 years from the production date on the sidewalls.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
She's a beauty. I'd say you stole it! :D

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't remember from your original post whether the tires have been replaced, but if original, they are now around 8-9 years old. They would still have plenty of tread, and may not even show any sidewall cracks, but they are no where nearly as sticky as the were 8 years ago so don't go pushing it in the curves until you replace them. The rule of thumb is toss 'em 7 years from the production date on the sidewalls.
You're right and tires along with bar end mirrors are the first things on my list. I think I'm going to go with the Street Triple bar end mirrors. I really like their look.
As for tires I'm not really sure what to get. I'd like some suggestions from you guys, please. I also have seem some guys use different size tires for the TBS, so I'm open for ideas.

Mutt

·
Premium Member
3,797 Posts
The BT 023 and the Avon Storm II Ultra are the only radials that are available in the Stock sizes. AFAIK It is good news that there is some choice available. The Avons were the only game in town for quite some time.

I am still running the 150/60x17 on the rear and I still like it better than the stock size tire. (approx 7k miles, will need a new one soon)
With the stock size turn in always felt peculiar to me. It would turn in great, up to a limit, at that point it would feel like it was hesitating, then it would suddenly fall the rest of the way into a turn. With the 150 on the rear turn in feels smooth no matter how far you lean into a corner. And the flat spot in the center of the tire is not nearly as wide either.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I agree with Charle S and M.G.Vig one of the best bikes Triumph built yeh you stole it ,what a beautiful bike ,have fun !

·
Registered
138 Posts
Sweet bike , I'll give you what you paid for it right now! just kidding As far tires, I love the Dunlops, and I 've read some about the new pilots so I'm trying those out at my next tire change.
Welcome to the "club"
Tex

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
I like Michelin tires on my Sprint ST, Pilot Power 2ct, and now Pilot Road 3.
I was going to put Pilot Road 3's on my TBS. One reason I wanted the TBS was because of the 17" wheels front and back.
SportbikeTrackGear shows the PR3 in 150, 160, 170, 180, and 190 rear.
110, 120 up front.
They show PP2's in 160 rear, and 120 front.
My TBS has Donlop Sportmax 160 rear, and 120 front.

I think the tubes are harder to find than the tires are.

·
Administrator
19,459 Posts
Mutt, that is one beautiful motorcycle. It is one of the best bikes out there! I have only recently decided it is time to add one to the stable but they are very hard to find. You got yourself a great motorcycle at a great price. Enjoy!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Mutt

You made a great purchase for a great bike. Last year for the TBS. I have the same year and love it as much today as the first day I rode it.

Best of luck

Willy T

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks a lot guys, I'm loving the hell out of it! My friend who went with me to pick it up says, "This is your first bike, ride it until you can decide what kind of bike you really want". LOL, I told him I didn't think I would be getting getting rid of my Thunderbird. I may get another bike but the Bird is home to stay. He thinks I'm nuts for saying I'm not going to get rid of it, but we all know he is the one that's crazy for thinking I should get rid of it to get another bike.
On another note, I got rid of the standard mirrors and got some Speed Triple bar end mirrors. The chrome mickey mouse mirrors were less then worthless and the least attractive part of the bike (IMHO). All I could see were my shoulders and that wasn't going to work. I was at the local Triumph dealer and got some black anodized Speed Triple mirrors. They went on very easily and work like a rear view mirror should work as opposed to the original mirrors.

Mutt

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Any chance we get to see some pics with your Speed Triple mirrors?

I'm going to need to do something with my bar end mirrors. They are the cheap Chineese ones, I think, because the anodizing is all faded.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Yeah, great looking bike there Muttley and yet again another great condition, low mileage bike for a fantastic price in the US! With Staintunes as well!

Examples like yours go for a lot more over here, but I suppose it's relative because when sold they go for similar money. But like you, mine's a keeper so that advantage won't be realised!

I only wished I'd bought one years ago.

I'm dead chuffed at the moment because I finally tracked down a black fly screen which are as rare as rocking horse poo. I've got a yellow one which looks good with the yellow single seat on but black is the correct colour for black and yellow really.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Any chance we get to see some pics with your Speed Triple mirrors?

I'm going to need to do something with my bar end mirrors. They are the cheap Chineese ones, I think, because the anodizing is all faded.
Post pics of my TBS? I'd love to. There were very simple to put on. They even had the covers to put over the old mirror holes. These are nice heavy quality mirrors, pricy but nice. I'm glad I got them.

Mutt

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Those mirrors are cool. I like 'em.:D

·
Registered
70 Posts
$3,500 with the exhaust at <10k miles. Others have said it: you STOLE that bike.

Get some new tires on it and you'll be scraping pegs in no time. The bike falls into turns like nothing else I've ridden. Not exactly flickable at ~500lbs, but it feels good and it goes fast. And though it handles great despite the weight, be wary: a 100 mile day of aggressive riding will knock. you. out.

Enjoy.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts