Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my Thunderbird in March of this year I didn't know about the thank a hero program, and the dealer didn't think to ask me, a 40 year old out of shape guy with a mustache and goatee, if I was prior service, as I certainly no longer look the part.

About a month after I bought the bike I found out about the Thank a Hero program here on this forum. I discussed it with my dealer, and we completed the paperwork. I have been waiting since then for Triumph to process it. I've been checking in with the dealer every couple of weeks, and yesterday I decided to stop by there again. Triumph still hasn't gotten around to processing it, but the dealer decided to throw the money on a gift card for me so I don't have to wait any longer. :)

So I now have floor boards, and front crash bars on order. Of course as it typical for Triumph the parts are on back order, but at least I was finally able to place the order. I was told 6 to 8 weeks. I guess I will just have to be patient a bit longer.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it is a $750 discount off the price of a new Triumph if you are current military, or former with an honorable discharge. In my case I didn't know about it at the time of purchase, so the dealer put the paperwork in for me after the fact. Had I known up front it would have been an instant discount, instead of the dealer credit I ended up with. Still I have no complaints. It is hard to complain about free money.

·
Premium Member
8,400 Posts
Definitely hard to complain about. As you say, if you let them know up front it is an instant discount. It sounds like they really aren't set up to credit people after the fact.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had we known up front the dealer still would have had to wait for Triumph to reimburse them after the fact, but like any dealer they would have done it to make the sale. Processing it a month later I'm not surprised they made me wait. The sale was done so there was no incentive for them to simply give me the money. However after me calling and/or showing up every couple of weeks they probably figured it best to satisfy the customer. Plus I'd imagine they ought to get reimbursed any day now. Also I pumped the money right back into the dealership anyway ordering the parts. Since the parts are back ordered they won't have to pay Triumph until the parts show up, and by then they will have the program money. So really it all works out for everyone.

·
Premium Member
8,400 Posts
OK, I'm pissed. I was in uniform when I bought my bike and it wasn't offered to me.
My dealer didn't even know about it until I brought it up to them. I am not sure there is the greatest of communication about those kinds of offers. How long ago did you purchase your bike? You may want to contact your dealer and bring it up to them.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
OK, I'm pissed. I was in uniform when I bought my bike and it wasn't offered to me.
I don't think dealers are too aware of this type of thing. I had found out about it, along with the free parts (for leftover 2010 Bonneville's) had to bring it up. Both things. Before purchasing the Bonnie I had done a sh*tload of research and bumped into both of them (http://www.rideatriumph.com/) and relayed to the dealer. My parts got there pretty quick (they told me they ordered it before my purchase was finalized, I guess they saw the enthusiasm in my eyes) but the money is not here yet. I think it was suppose to be taken off the price of the bike and not cash back.

...yep, I'll be making a phone call when I get home.

·
Premium Member
8,400 Posts
Yeah, they are a little clueless about the promotions. I came in to sign the deal with a copy of the promotion and my DD214 in hand, and while they had no problem honoring the terms of it, they really didn't seem to have been previously aware of it either. But yes, it was supposed to have been taken off the price of the bike at the time of purchase.

·
Registered
377 Posts
My dealer didn't even know about it until I brought it up to them. I am not sure there is the greatest of communication about those kinds of offers. How long ago did you purchase your bike? You may want to contact your dealer and bring it up to them.
July 8th was a year, but the program started May 2010. When I get back to California I will be contacting them, but I'm at Ft. Eustis, VA for the next two weeks.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mickey definitely see if you can put in for it. I don't know if there is a time limit or not, but seeing as you are still in uniform hopefully they can help you out. Good luck.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Mickey definitely see if you can put in for it. I don't know if there is a time limit or not, but seeing as you are still in uniform hopefully they can help you out. Good luck.
Called my dealer and they said the program started February 12, 2011 and I don't qualify. I have a call in to Triumph USA and am waiting for a reply. :mad:

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I did end up talking to my dealer about mine and they told me that it had been discounted off the bike. I'm dubious of this considering that they weren't sure that it would apply since I wasn't active duty. Will be checking my paperwork...

·
Premium Member
8,400 Posts
Called my dealer and they said the program started February 12, 2011 and I don't qualify. I have a call in to Triumph USA and am waiting for a reply. :mad:
Did you contact Peter Carleo? Or just place a generic call? You may wish to try to speak with him if you can. (678) 854-2010 X 2067

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You probably don't have any recourse if the program wasn't in effect at the time of your purchase. :(

·
Premium Member
8,400 Posts
Maybe not depending on military status. But that start date of February 2011, is only the start date of the current terms, not the program itself. The new program superseded the old one. Triumph initiated the program in May of 2010. They updated the program in February of 2011 and changed it to include all honorably discharged vets (if you find the proper and current wording), but it applied to all active duty military personnel and reservists prior to that. So, depending on your status at the time, you maybe could have qualified for the previous program if you were active duty at the time of purchase.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/newsandupdates/motorcycle_news/122_1005_triumph_motorcycles_thank_a_hero/index.html

·
Registered
377 Posts
Maybe not depending on military status. But that start date of February 2011, is only the start date of the current terms, not the program itself. The new program superseded the old one. Triumph initiated the program in May of 2010. They updated the program in February of 2011 and changed it to include all honorably discharged vets (if you find the proper and current wording), but it applied to all active duty military personnel and reservists prior to that. So, depending on your status at the time, you maybe could have qualified for the previous program if you were active duty at the time of purchase.
Just got back from Ft. McCoy, WI and want to let you all know I talked to Triumph USA in Georgia and I will be getting a check for $750. They told me the dealer was wrong.

·
Premium Member
8,400 Posts
That's good news! The dealers really don't seem to be up on the details of the offer. I am glad that you were able to pursue it and get it straightened out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts