Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it's finally happened. This morning the gearbox wouldn't shift from 2nd to 1st and as I turned left out of the junction I stalled and went down.

Crash bungs did their job, just a crack where the bottom of the fairing caught the curb. Mostly annoyance and embarressment.

Didn't even look to see if anyone was behind me, just picked it up and rode off.

Her indoors is giving me major grief, but what's new?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Well, sorry to hear that...

You know, there's really only two types of riders... the Ones that fell and the ones that Will...

And, if that can make you feel any better, I dropped mine this spring, two weeks after I purchased it, because it was cold (freezing point), the bike sleeps outside and as soon as I made a right turn, leaving a stop sign, 'bout 30 feet from my house, rear tire spinned while on the angle and I completed a nice ice skating figure, that ended up in a 5miles per hour low side...right hand side of the fairing was all broken... I didnt had nothing but shame.... 20 years of road riding for ...that, stupid me... :eek:

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Uggghhh.....

Glad you are ok. Why does a smashed ego hurt more then anything physical?

Take the panel to a body shop and have them fix it, way cheaper than a new one.

good luck!

·
Registered
16 Posts
sorry to hear that mate

there's nothing worse than seeing your baby lying on the ground... at least you're alright, and it is still rideable.

·
Registered
8,089 Posts
What a bummer! Still better than a high speed slide.

Do you have an 18T front sprocket? That really helps with low speed manouveres. Still you won't do that trick again. :(

My wife knew how upset I was when I dropped my RS and left me alone in case I grew a second head. :)

·
Registered
218 Posts
Sorry to hear about it Jim. I've dropped mine twice, luckily on the same side both times - one was like yours, a slow speed maneuver gone wrong, and the second, well.. ever read those threads how someone says they backed their bike out of the garage and forgot they put the sidestand up, and dropped their bike? And you read those and wonder how they could have forgotten something as fundamental as that? Yep, I don't wonder that anymore.. :) When you feel rushed or in a hurry when prepping for your ride, take a deep breath and an extra 30 seconds before you touch the motorcycle - you'll be glad you did. :)

I need to look into the body shop option for getting the scratches fixed, but I wonder how much they'll charge.. bikebandit has replacement side bodywork (though not in any colors past 06?) for about $415 shipped.. I'd imagine a decent body shop would probably hit close to that with labor..

·
Registered
67 Posts
sorry to hear....

but can relate! I dropped mine before I got it:D...was on my brother in law's Sprint, we had swapped bikes for a few days, my very first day, first stop for lunch, hit a weird spot and next thing I know the bike is down. Ruined my lunch, but then rode it pretty hard in the mountains for a few days and got over it, then shortly after bought my 06 Sprint.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the comments everyone.

The bike must have been feeling ashamed of itself. For the rest of the day the gearbox was as sweet as its ever been.

Just one of those unlucky combinations of circumstances, full tank and the topbox on.

But like I said the bungs did their job. the bars didn't even touch down and there's no scraping just a small crack on the bottom of the fairing.

More to the point nobody got hurt and the cctv operator has got something to laugh about.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Mine was only seven days old when I dropped it. I was really bummed at first, but in the grand scheme of things, it's no big deal. I've dropped bikes lots of times...In a hurry, doing something stupid, forgetting the sidestand, lubing the chain, stopping on a slant with a pillion, (that was ugly) It happens. All a part of the joyful experience of Motorcycling! :D

At least you're OK

MP

·
Registered
41 Posts
Picklejim, sorry to hear of the get-off. What sort of crash protection are you using? It sounds like it worked pretty well and I'm interested in obtaining some for my 08 ST. Maybe your experience will help me out some time.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Picklejim, sorry to hear of the get-off. What sort of crash protection are you using? It sounds like it worked pretty well and I'm interested in obtaining some for my 08 ST. Maybe your experience will help me out some time.
Full set of R & G's

Fork Protectors, Rear Spindle Bobbins and the usual Posts through and behind the fairing.

The only problem I find (I'm 6'1" with a 33" inside leg) is my knee sometimes touches the rear fairing protector.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts