Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know this has been beat into the ground, but I finally did the tubeless mod with this season's tire change. It was a pain as it took a few days to do it well, and still had a couple leaks on the first go, but it in the end is really nice. I followed a process found on ADV rider, but here it is:

1: I used a brass cup brush on a drill to get the spoke nipples really clean. You have to be careful not to over-do it, the aluminum is obviously soft. I also made a soda blaster a while back, and tried it with good results on light dirt/oxidation.

2: One good layer of goop, just about 6 spokes at a time to prevent runs. You can rotate the wheel to get the next 6 after about 10 minutes.

3: 24 hours drying time

4: One more layer of goop, same method as before

5: 24 hours drying time.

6: Add a new valve stem. Lots of ways to do this but I just bought a good quality one and drilled the rims slightly larger.

7: Add your tires (I chose Dunlop Roadsmart II) and test for leaks. I just sprayed windex on the spokes and looked for bubbles. I did find some on the front, so I had to disassemble and try one more layer of goop.

Just thought I'd share. I am happy with the results, and even though they did leak at first it was very slow. Also, photos:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
I guess there's more to GOOP than just hand cleaner.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts