Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Lowered gauges. What are you guys filling the holes with?

Made from stock bar end mirrors.

Sliders (aka loss prevention) and Bonneville shocks.

I also got a new rear break line because mine was eaten by the chain. Somehow it moved out of place and the chain sliced it.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
DD, What did you bolt the lowered gauges to? I am sure you could find some nice chrome or polished stainless hex bolts to fill in the holes.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Good job on those bar end mirrors. I looked into doing something with mine but wanted a slightly smaller mirror. You saved yourself some dough!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Same holes, just bolted from the bottom side with some washers as spacers to fill the gap.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Lowered gauges. What are you guys filling the holes with?

Made from stock bar end mirrors.

Sliders (aka loss prevention) and Bonneville shocks.

I also got a new rear break line because mine was eaten by the chain. Somehow it moved out of place and the chain sliced it.
Hey DD nice job - I just lowered mine over the Christmas hols and made the stainless steel gauge covers at the same time (see http://www.triumphrat.net/club-cafe/46621-home-made-gauge-pods-completed-pics-want-some.html). I have the same problem with the open holes but I'd like to put something a little fancier than just plain bolts though - or maybe even mount an oil pressure gauge and a clock or something? I'm going to cruise a few bike shops and see if there's anything nice out there and post the pics when I find something suitable
Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good job on those bar end mirrors. I looked into doing something with mine but wanted a slightly smaller mirror. You saved yourself some dough!
I was afraid they would look huge but I like the way it turned out. There was quite a bit of work that went into them. I had to tap the bars some because I was afraid that the stock screws would be too wimpy for the heavy mirrors.

·
Registered
404 Posts
DD, What did you bolt the lowered gauges to? I am sure you could find some nice chrome or polished stainless hex bolts to fill in the holes.
Hey Aussiematt - the holes are threaded all the way thru the headstock so you can use the same bolts and bolt them upwards. The only slight issue is that the gauge bracket fouls a bit underneath so I had to trim it slightly but no more then 0.1" and blended it back in.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I ordered short SS bolts with hex heads to match those that are now underneath holding the bracket in place. Cleans up the vacant holes nicely and one could use the bolts to mount a clock, gps, etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
Screw holes

I used aluminium grub screws to fill the holes, loctited into place and screwed in until they were flush with the top yoke.
looks clean and tidy.

Skiddy

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
what should be a 20 min job - isn't....

Thx DD & Triton 750. I spent the evening in the garage playing around with options. I have flipped the headlight brackets to give me more room around the gauges. Note that I have my OEM clips=-ons above the triple tree resulting in the clutch cable fouling the speedo trip knob when I lower the gauges. Initially, I wanted to go with the sexy D9 set up but I don't have the room so am resorting to the traditional route of lowing the OEM gauges. I will grab some rubber spaces tomorrow and devote another evening in the 'cave'

1 - 10 of 10 Posts