Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been a while. Finished working on the Triumph. Have to look for another project bike. Attached are pictures of
the finished bike. Note, took off the Brituro mufflers. Bought a pair of Made In England mufflers sold by The
Bonneville Shop. I like the sound better. More like stock only louder and a deeper sound (to me). Also decided
against painting and pin striping the original paint. Also left the yellowed Triumph tank badges as to me it matches
the bikes "patina". Did paint the Triumph seat logo though.

Senior

Attachments

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
Hi Senior, Wow nice!
Are you still planning to ride to California? Looks like bike is ready to go!
Don

·
Registered
2016 Thruxton R
31 Posts
Great example of the 70 T120R. I found mine in Laguna Beach CA and it had the tail light extension on it, just like yours.
It was originally an east coast bike, so my question is: Is this a a mandatory mod on the east coast?
Cheers,
Tony

Attachments

·
Registered
1972 Norton Commando, 1973 Norton Commando, 1974 Norton Commando, Bonnevilles - 2018 T120, 2009 T100
136 Posts
What a sweet looking bike. Ride it in safety and good health. I have some old Brit Iron - 3 Norton Commandos and 2 BSA A65s (1 Lightning, 1 Thunderbolt), but my experience with Triumphs started with a 2018 T120, then I added a 2009 T100. Love them both. Correction, love them ALL. But I have to say on cold morning there is a lot of attraction to electric start and triple discs, Vs. kickstart, and single disc F, drum R. And heated grips - the best thing since sliced bread!

·
Registered
1970 Triumph Bonneville T120
29 Posts
Looks really great! Nicely done!

What are those mirrors? I've only got a small one on the left side of my '70. It looks good, but it's not very functional and I'm thinking about changing it out in the name of safety.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Wow man, now that's one you can't duplicate, like a time capsule. Damn fine job. (y)

·
Registered
2016 Diablo Red Thruxton 1200 R
637 Posts
Very tastefully done! thnx for sharing!... FTG

·
Registered
40 Posts
Great example of the 70 T120R. I found mine in Laguna Beach CA and it had the tail light extension on it, just like yours.
It was originally an east coast bike, so my question is: Is this a a mandatory mod on the east coast?
Cheers,
Tony
The ultimate year ! Neat pictures like this almost make me get off my arse and finish the '70 Tiger.

·
Super Moderator
8,278 Posts
Hi Tony,
tail light extension
mandatory mod on the east coast?
Aiui, an FMVSS change on all bikes made on or after 1st January 1970 and sold in the US was the tail lamp should be the rearmost part of the bike; without the extension, the bottom of the rear fender could be behind the rear lamp.

However, reasons the extensions are rare today include: the extension was simply included in the crate and there wasn't any enforcement after a bike had been sold, so either the extension was never fitted or a new owner simply removed it straight away or after the licence plate mounting failed. Reason the extension's licence plate mounting strip could fail was it was only intended for the top of the licence plate, there were separate spacers to fit between the fender and the standard separate bottom mounting strip; if they weren't fitted, vibration waggled around the licence plate fastened only to the tail-lamp extension strip, 'til it split ... :rolleyes:

Hth.

Regards,

·
Super Moderator
8,278 Posts
Hi Senior,

(y)

You might have already but, if not, consider discreet cable-ties between each horn and the bracket, and between the bracket and another part of the bike? Reason I suggest this is twins' vibration is known to break the brackets consequently the horns are rocking-horse-poo rare. :(

Hth.

Regards,

·
Registered
92 Posts
Been a while. Finished working on the Triumph. Have to look for another project bike. Attached are pictures of
the finished bike. Note, took off the Brituro mufflers. Bought a pair of Made In England mufflers sold by The
Bonneville Shop. I like the sound better. More like stock only louder and a deeper sound (to me). Also decided
against painting and pin striping the original paint. Also left the yellowed Triumph tank badges as to me it matches
the bikes "patina". Did paint the Triumph seat logo though.

Senior
Senior, Your bike is positively beautiful! I had a '70 UK & General Export T120 out in South Africa, that I bought brand new. There were a few differences, like a larger 4 gal tank and the tail light and number plate arrangement were a bit different. Out there we could get both the T120 and the T120R, like yours. Two of my friends had T120R's exactly the same as yours. All three bikes were in that same colour '70 scheme and they looked good together wherever we went..

On a different point, looking at your rear wheel, I would like to ask you:

Are the two items ringed in the pic security bolts?

Is the rear wheel original?

If those are security bolts, where is the tyre valve positioned in relation to them?

Terry

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Looks really great! Nicely done!

What are those mirrors? I've only got a small one on the left side of my '70. It looks good, but it's not very functional and I'm thinking about changing it out in the name of safety.
I took two sets of old mirrors and combined them. Used the short stem from one set and the mirrors from another. I couldn't really find mirrors I liked. They are 4" mirrors but
do vibrate at speed.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi Tony,

Aiui, an FMVSS change on all bikes made on or after 1st January 1970 and sold in the US was the tail lamp should be the rearmost part of the bike; without the extension, the bottom of the rear fender could be behind the rear lamp.

However, reasons the extensions are rare today include: the extension was simply included in the crate and there wasn't any enforcement after a bike had been sold, so either the extension was never fitted or a new owner simply removed it straight away or after the licence plate mounting failed. Reason the extension's licence plate mounting strip could fail was it was only intended for the top of the licence plate, there were separate spacers to fit between the fender and the standard separate bottom mounting strip; if they weren't fitted, vibration waggled around the licence plate fastened only to the tail-lamp extension strip, 'til it split ... :rolleyes:

Hth.

Regards,
Hey StuartMac!

You are the one who got me pointed in the direction to find the extension (1970 T140 parts manual). I saw the spacers to mount the original plate mount to the extention
plate mount and thought they were to move the license plate out further so it did not hit the fender? Since I have about 1/2 between the license plate (I have a chrome plate
behind the license plate to provide more support to the plate) I thought that would be good to go?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts